La Chapelle d'Abondance
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for La Chapelle d'Abondance Ski Resort
November 23, 2017
Samantha from United Kingdom
La Chapelle is a fantastic family ski resort. It's well connected as part of the Porte Du Soleil so the expert skier in the family can easily find more challenging runs. It's still a working village so most food is locally sourced by the restaurants and the general quality of them is high. Has great cross country skiing through the village as well. Families of all skiing levels can ski back to the main resort. Lift pass gives access to a total of 3 resorts. Husky rides available.
La Chapelle d'Abondance Ratings
Overall: 4.4. Based on 5 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of La Chapelle d'Abondance.
Public Transport: 3.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to La Chapelle d'Abondance, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near La Chapelle d'Abondance, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.5
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.2
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in La Chapelle d'Abondance.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.8
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at La Chapelle d'Abondance, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) La Chapelle d'Abondance is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) La Chapelle d'Abondance relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at La Chapelle d'Abondance, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at La Chapelle d'Abondance are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) La Chapelle d'Abondance is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.6
(1) If snow conditions are poor at La Chapelle d'Abondance, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.8
(1) La Chapelle d'Abondance usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 5.0
(1) The staff at La Chapelle d'Abondance are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at La Chapelle d'Abondance are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.4
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) La Chapelle d'Abondance has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at La Chapelle d'Abondance, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at La Chapelle d'Abondance, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around La Chapelle d'Abondance, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) La Chapelle d'Abondance has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.4
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.8
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.8
(1) Overall, La Chapelle d'Abondance is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.8
(1) Overall, La Chapelle d'Abondance is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
June 29, 2011
Hannah Cooper from United Kingdom
I just stayed in La Chapelle d'Abondance. We were looking for a rest after a hectic year and wanted to try the mountains in France for the first time!!
We selected Chalet Le Dragon as our base in La Chapelle d'Abondance. The chalet was lovely and Matt & Emma looked after us really well. I think we had the best room in the Chalet as it had a huge bed and enormous en-suite and views of the mountains from the balcony.
We had a superb time exploring the valley and all its activities. On our more active days we climbed the Via Ferrata and also did some rafting on the Dranse with Frogs Rafting.
Exploring La Chapelle we found ample restaurants serving a range of foods. The Cornettes was superb and had enough choice on the menu to feed an army!! It wasn't the cheapest but was well worth it!
The village is also well placed for walks into the mountains. There are sign posts everywhere with different walks to do.
We went further on a couple of days and ventured down to Evian and Yvoire. We highly recommend the medieval town of Yvoire for lunch on a hot day!
All in all, we got the holiday we wanted and actually realised that the mountains are an option for a holiday in the future.
March 31, 2011
Annie from United Kingdom
We've spent many happy holidays in La Chapelle, both winter and summer. The area is truly beautiful and unspoiled and with masses of activities all year round, there's always something to look forward to. The village, although small, has some wonderful restaurants and enough shops for everything you need. We love it so much we've bought a place here and are looking forward to spending as much time as possible in this fabulous corner of France.
August 19, 2010
Marjorie from United Kingdom
Went to La Chapelle (La Chapelle d'Abondance) in the winter and stayed just opposite the lifts in Chalet De Marie. They are really nice apts and so handy for the lifts and the pub (Panthiaz) had a wonderful time so thought I would try it in the summer and certainly was not disappointed. Plenty to see and do and the scenery is just amazing. Well worth a visit.
May 25, 2010
Matthew from France
Welcome to La Chapelle D'Abondance and Snow-Forecast.com. Please write a review of La Chapelle so that anyone visiting this page can see what a great little traditional French resort it is and hopefully come and experience the village and great skiing for themselves.
Many thanks, La Chapelle D'Abondance 'Resort Manager' at www.snow-forecast.com