Ski France

La Plagne Resort Reviews

Ski France

La Plagne Resort Reviews

FrLa Plagne

Use the buttons below to tell us…

Visitor reviews for La Plagne Ski Resort

• February 24, 2010
    from United Kingdom

We have just returned from a week skiing in La Plange. The skiing was great, however, we stayed at the hotel Vancouver in Plange Soleil. We booked the hotel as it advertised an indoor pool and spa. We did not use the facility owing to the disgusting state of the overcrowded changing room, single toilet and filthy water in the hot tubs. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

D Mitchell.

• February 07, 2010
    from United Kingdom

There seem to be some very misinformed comments about La Plagne and I find it hard to understand why. There is a massive variety of pistes plus the extensive off-piste which should keep most levels of skier more than busy. The runs from the Bellecotte glacier are great fun.

The word disjointed seems to be used a lot but I found that it is usually possible to get to the different sectors using a variety of routes - admittedly boarders and people who struggle to interpret a piste map can struggle but it really doesn't take long to work out your way around the extensive lift and piste network.

I've stayed in Belle Plagne and Plagne Soleil and yes, the night life is relatively quiet but there are some decent happy hours in the evenings at places like Igloo (Centre) and Tete bar (Belle Plagne) or if you prefer the European dance scene Bellecote is meant to be lively later on.

I've been to the mega resorts like Tignes, St Anton, Verbier, Courcheval and Meribel and think La Plagne ranks pretty well alongside them particularly as it can be significantly cheaper to stay there. The link to Les Arcs is a bonus but personally I preferred the snow conditions and wider variety of La Plagne.

Prices are no more than other large resorts. If you want to eat and drink on the cheap it's possible by using the happy hours and takeaways but otherwise it will be fairly pricey but then where in France isn't?

• January 28, 2010
    from United Kingdom

I am so surprised that everyone is moaning about the cost of food and drink at La Plagne. Since when has skiing ever been a cheap holiday?

• January 26, 2010

Jan 14-18 '09
    La Plagne ok but like some have said, you can spend too much time on the lifts. Some lift attendants severely lacking in smiles and assistance. Skiing pretty good but Les Arcs area leagues better for layout and variety of runs. We stayed in Belle Plagne apparently where all the apres action was - well there still wasn't much. Best apres bar I've been to is that one in Verbier (you know the one don't you?) where the roof winds back to let the snow/stars in - excellent! If I went back to this area I would go to Les Arcs. We did the Aguille Rouge run a few times - really great run, would love to do at end of the day (but impossible if you're staying in Plagne!). Couldn't believe it when we saw a crazy (and v. skilled) off-pister going under the rope and down the 60 degree couloir from top of Aiguille gondola..crazy French dogs !! Happy skiing everyone, snow is amazing at the moment.

• January 12, 2010
    from United Kingdom

I just had to comment after reading some reviews on La Plagne. First, the pistes are groomed very well. I agree the blacks are not and as a boarder it sucks but they are blacks so they are meant to be hard. The runs are not really disjointed and if you study the maps you can get around easy. Also, there are maps to hand everywhere. With regard to the comment that the skiing is not hard enough as there are not enough blacks, the off-piste is second to none and very accessible and as safe as you can get. The pistes are numbered well so if you can't count you may get lost.
    The drink, yes, £6 for a pint but most bars have a happy hour and each area have at least 1 club. If you want to party it is not the place to be. The food has been the same price, within reason, for the last 4 years. It's just the £ is worth f all. The staff are as polite as they can be when you have rude Brits who would be better in a English theme pub in Majorca.
    4 years ago was my first trip to La Plagne. I had about 5 seasons in Tignes/Val before and yes, class places but too busy and way more expencive and the same with the 3 valleys. There are a lot of blue runs but a 1/4 of them should be marked as reds but as they have the width they are blues. La Plagne does swing more for the families than the young who party and ski hard. I love it because it's not too busy and for the off-piste.

• January 06, 2010
    from Ireland

Stayed in Terra Nova Hotel - Plagne Centre over new year 09/10. Hotel was quite nice: good food, good location but too warm, it was like a sauna!. Slopes at La Plagne were very disjointed and not really 'piste-bashed' everyday. Purchased full area ski pass (not good value €800 as I only got over to Les Arcs once due to queuing for lifts in village of Bellecote which cannot be avoided to get to Les Arcs. French piste attendants did not bother to fill up the chair or bubble lifts which did not help. One of our snow boards was stolen from Hotel locker room-had to pay €430 to replace it! Restaurants at La Plagne are over priced: €8.50 bowl of soup, vodka/coke €8. Overall, not a patch on Tignes or 3 Valleys- I'm afraid I would not return to La Plagne.

• January 04, 2010
    from Australia

Paul June 08 nailed it on the head with his comment re La Plagne resort being disjointed. I have just returned from a New Year 09/10 trip and we also had this problem. You simply spend far too much time trying to get from one spot to another so you lose valuable time enjoying the slopes. There were some other problems we encountered, apres-ski was non existant. 2 bars in total are in La Plagne Centre, poor piste signage and non groomed pistes. We made a complaint to the tourism office about the pistes at La Plagne not being groomed and the response we received was the area is too large to groom in one night?? I've skied many resorts, some with double the skiing area and never ran into this problem in the past. Overall, yes it's a nice looking resort with the dotted villages, yes there are hundreds of run, yes this is catered more for families, but if you're after a serious ski holiday with plenty of action and apres-ski, head to another resort.

• June 15, 2009
    from France

I have now lived and worked in La Plagne for the last 13 winters (and most summers). La Plagne really is a gem.

Too many people judge the place without ever really getting to know it. Sure there are not that many bars, but that means we don't get drunken idiots causing trouble. As for angry French locals, I seem to find them some of the nicest people of all the French ski resorts I have been to.

As for the skiing, nothing to be said as it speaks for itself. Some of the best on and off-piste going. Especially the off-piste; so few people (they all go to Val D'Isere).

• June 08, 2009
    from United Kingdom

La Plagne is a truly awful resort. I worked there for the season and ended up moving to Val d'Isere by Feb (much, much, much better in every way possible). The resort is so disjointed. You spend most of your time on lifts trying to get to places rather than skiing. There are far too many flats. Yes, it is high but that doesn't make up for the pistes and all the bottle necks that cause horrific queues. It also faces north which may mean it keeps its snow but it is pretty much in the shade 24/7 = ice so make sure your skis have good edges.

As far as nightlife goes there isn't any at La Plagne. If you want to go out to more than 1/2 bars in a night then good luck. Due to the fact that it is split into about a million separate resorts and the buses stop at 12 midnight you can't really go anywhere except your particular area, and if you do, expect a very long cold walk home. Any bar you do go into watch out for angry French locals.

The only good thing about La Plagne is that it is linked to Les Arc which is a great resort. But, again, you need to get over there and back which is a pain as the Vanoise crossing is always busy. Getting back is a nightmare at the end of the day. Solid ice everywhere and hundreds of people; about 200m of skiing to do with 4 lifts in between.

Hey, I'm only one person, but working/living there gives you a much better insight.

• April 07, 2009
    from United Kingdom

Got back from La Plagne last Saturday after an excellent week's skiing. Snow was good, Belle Plagne was excellent and, apart from one day, crowds were almost non-existent; often had the pistes to ourselves. Great for a mixed-ability group, and enough variety to keep most skiers busy; I accept that there weren't masses of blacks, but with the Paradiski lift pass we spent a day in Les Arcs too so found enough to entertain us. I'd highly recommend La Plagne resort.