Ski France

La Plagne Resort Reviews

Ski France

La Plagne Resort Reviews

FrLa Plagne

Use the buttons below to tell us…

Visitor reviews for La Plagne Ski Resort

• February 27, 2011
    from United Kingdom

Just got back from half-term week at Belle Plagne, where I stayed at the Chalet Balcon 1.
    Was the resort busy? Of course it was - this is Brit ski time!. All lifts in the immediate area converge on Plagne Centre or Bellecote. Peak times are from 10-12am and then after lunch 'till around 4pm. Queuing on the bottom lifts can be around 15 minutes. However, there is ample opportunity to get out of the valley and stay out, either using the chair lifts dotted around the vast Paradiski area or going on those long blue/red runs from Roche de Mio or down into Mont Chevin etc. These lifts are much quieter. The only other lift that will be busy is the Roche De Mio to Glacier lift. A good example of getting out and not coming back is the blue Mont Blanc run which is one of Europe's longest runs. The Mont Blanc run will take you over an hour to go down on and to come up again with less than a minute's queue at each station.
    Even at peak times there was plenty of room on the slopes with the vast majority of skiers and snowboarders using good etiquette. The only thing to watch out for are the numerous ESF processions that zig-zag down the blue slopes on most days. These do not change course for anyone!
    Plenty of variety for the intermediate and advance skiers too. There were at least two slalom runs, a tricks park and a half-pipe just above Bellecote. Further afield there were some good black mogul runs and off-pistes off the edge of mountains within easy access. Good access was also available across to Les Arcs on the same lift pass, whilst Tignes etc is less than an hour away by road.
    I can recommend the Chalet Balcon. Direct access from the ski room to the slope and, again, direct access into the ski room from above (from the Arpette lift blues) Clalet Balcon also has it's own SkiSet hire shop which is much less busy than the one on Belle Plagne itself.
    Other sports include: bobsleigh on the Olympic track, swimming in the heated open air (yes, you heard me) pool, cross country skiing on dedicated tracks, skiidoos and ice skating (plus ice hockey sticks, pucks and nets too).

• February 22, 2011
    from United Kingdom

Got back from La Plagne a couple of weeks back after my first skiing trip with my wife and I am well and truly in love with La Plagne. It would be easy to criticise the expensive restaurants and the bad 70s architecture in Plagne Centre, but why bother when the skiing is this good.

Such a variety of slopes, minimal queues and as long as you stayed away from the standard training blues (Trieuse and bottom of Mira) then there was very little traffic on the slopes either.

I started the week as a beginner, but the progression of the slopes meant that by the end of the week I was a competent intermediate with a love of all the red slopes.

My favourite was to go over the back of the mountain from either Verdons or Grand Rochette and take any one of the lovely routes down to Champagny. Le Bois was open as well and was a truly brilliant, challenging, exhilarating and beautifully scenic run.

Dropping down from the very top of the glacier down La Combe was also a highlight.

Our apartment was in the Residence Grange du Soleil in Plagne Soleil - we were lucky enough to have a balcony right on the snow so were able to literally ski up to our apartment at the end of the day or at lunchtime where cold beer was permanently waiting for me. Who cares about €7 beers in the pub when you can buy a crate at the local supermarket for €10!

I could definitely recommend La Plagne for advanced beginners and intermediates. There also looked to be loads of great off-piste for advanced skiers although that was off limits for me this time - next year though, bring it on!

• January 16, 2011
    from United Kingdom

Have just returned from Plagne 1800, where my wife and I stayed at a Crystal catered chalet named Marmotte. I can thorouhly recommend this one. We were in Montillet, within this chalet, with the host named Will. He is a fully trained chef and his meals were by far the best we have experienced in any catered chalet that we have stayed in previously. The chalet is about 2 years old. The Mines bar down the road is very unusual but beware of the happy hour as only the ordinary beer and soft drinks are at half price. The nearest chair lift is only about 150metres down the hill or the ski bus stop to Plagne Centre or Bellecote is outside the door and runs every 15 minutes.

• January 08, 2011
    from United Kingdom

Belle Plagne is probably the best of the places to stay in La Plagne. High and good links up to the Roche de Mio esp if you get on the telecabin as soon as it opens. If you are a beginner snowboarder avoid Le Tunnel as there is a lot of flat on this run so you'll end up walking quite a bit. Arpette is a nice wide blue for beginners although it gets quite steep as you descend into Bellecote. Riding most of the blue runs with my 2 children in a mixed ability group was pleasant and easy enough to do.

I booked the resort through Crystal and overall the experience was good. I'd booked my 2 children into ESF and as they had previous tuition and were classed in England as intermediate riders. Watch out as the ESF intermediate standard seems to be much higher.

I didn't notice too much queueing for lifts but a rep reported that the new year week had been very busy.

• November 18, 2010
    from United Kingdom

La Plagne probably once worked rather well as a resort but not so much any more. I have visted a number of the resorts that make up the La Plagne ski area and have noticed it getting more and more busy each year. When the original hubs of Plagne Centre, Bellecote and Aime La Plagne were constructed lifts ran from these resorts to the top of the slopes. More recently La Plagne has gravitated up the mountain with the creation of Plagne Soleil, Plagne Villages and Belle Plagne. None of these resorts (possibly with the exception of Belle Plagne) have direct access to the top of the slopes so the only way to move about is to ski down to the original hubs to gain height. This results in cronically overcrowded pistes and lifts particularly in Bellecote.
    La Plagne has become a victim of it's own success and has become completely overdeveloped. A real shame as it is now ruined in my opinion. The link to Les Arcs has only made matters worse as the hordes decend from Les Arcs. This adds to the queues and the really bad snow conditions on the lower slopes which are mostly a combination of bomb proof ice in the morning, chewed up crud over lunch and slush by the end of day. Throw in the masses veering all over the place and you get the general idea. A great shame as my earlier memories of La Plagne were good.

• September 27, 2010
    from United Kingdom

We have been many times to La Plagne. It is great! My son has grown up in the ESF ski school. La Plagne centre is the place to be for families. We always stay at the Hotel Terra Nova which is comfortable and has the right mix of things for a family holiday. There is a vast ski area and will suit all levels of skier. It can be a little bit crowded at some lift stations around holiday times but so are other resorts. Off-piste is very good and some ESF group classes specialise in this. For the kids there is the ‘Milka Cow’ run and for a bit of public singing you get a hand out of free chocolates.

We are going back Xmas 2010. Maybe we will see you there?

• April 15, 2010
    from United Kingdom

Myself, my partner and our 14 month old daughter stayed in La Plagne 1800 in chalet Arpette 2 weeks commencing 20th Feb 2010. The Paradiski area is fantastic and we loved La Plagne. But, unfortunately, the chalet had a strong stench of cannabis mainly at night which seemed to be filtering through from other apartments in the premises used by seasoned reps. Although this sadly spoilt our holiday we will be going to La Plagne again next season but definitely not staying in Arpette.

• April 08, 2010
    from United Kingdom

Just returned from La Plagne March 2010.
    Stayed at Hotel Vancouver in Soleil. Very good food (big buffet breakfast and choice of mains at night : fish particularly good), clean hotel. Did not use pool but evidence of problems with the roof. Some of the staff not that friendly but some very good. Same anywhere I suppose. 6 (that's six) pounds per pint: same everywhere apart from 1 hour happy hour: beer only half price. Would stay ther again if we got the same deal.

Skiing - perfect for group of mixed abilities. Easy to get on and off piste and lift queues were negligible (Easter half-term). We particularly liked the run down from Colussus lift to Plagne centre and the run from Col du Forcle to Bellacote. Best skiing we have had (Les Gets, Avoriaz, Kaprun, Scheffau, Niedarau, Sestriere and Passo del Tonale) and would definitely go back to La Plagne. The views from Roche de Mio were awesome.

Not a lot of red stuff and some stretches of blues are really red standard:eg blue down from Grand Rochette to Soleil.
    One boarder in the group enjoyed the range of stuff.

Apres not much. We tried Monica's bar in Soleil for the football and had a live band on one night (crowd = 2 people after we left). Still £6 per pint though.

Eating out was ridiculously expensive and so we had a big breakfast and made do with a snack: which was a shame.

Trannsfer from Grenoble a bit of a nightmare (2.5 hours).

You come to ski and enjoy the company and scenery and it was spectacularly good, the food in hotel was v good and the holiday superb.

• April 05, 2010
    from United Kingdom

Coming up to the end of my season in La Plagne...
    The real story about the resort...

The sking is great. If you're a boarder and find yourself with not enough speed to get over flats, then maybe you could consider taking more lessons, I have not unclipped my back foot once in 5 months.
    The skiing is good with nice runs: well pisted where it matters (they could do with more piste bashers for lower resorts).
    Off-piste is v good: over 35 decents around La Plagne, some good some ok, but something for everyone. I spent 4 hours skiing over 3 big runs: North Face, Freland (spelt wrong I'm sure) and various other valleys. If you can't find enough challlenging runs, get an off-piste guide. 95% of the people out here would not be able to ski the North Face let alone another 20 off-piste runs.

The bars are expensive, as with everywhere in France, the nightlife is quieter than the raaa crowd in the 3 valleys, but still fun. Lift waiting times: twice in 5 months did I wait for more than 2 mins at a lift (bottom of the Derby in Les Arcs, and La Arpette in Belle Plagne).

I was in the resort of Les Coches, which is quiet but mostly chalet orientated. If I were to come here (I'm 29), I would go to Peisey Valandry, as it has more going on.

La Plagne is a great place in all, you'll have a blast here.

• March 21, 2010
    from United Kingdom

Just returned from 1 week at Plagne 1800 (La Plagne), which I would say, although not the best linked/night life, it's by far the nicest looking place to stay.

La Mine is good for cheap beer and live bands but it gets very busy. The pizza bar was our choice, the owners were excellent with cheap (ish) food but some drinks expensive compared to La Mine.

Our Chalet was Momosses through Crystal - very good with excellent food in our opinion.

The snow was good but we've had the best of the last snow, so I wouldn't go back this late in the season again just in case the weather improved sooner than it did this year. A local told us this year the weather was cold for this time of the year but trust me, we all have sun tans.

Les Arcs has much better lifts, longer runs and quieter. Although La Plagne good, the lifts are much to slow and someone has already mentioned the lift staff never smile!

The La Plagne was good but Val and 3V just a little bit better in all aspects.