Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) Resort Reviews
6 pm 29 Mar 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Knockanaffrin at m altitude issued:
Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts)
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) Ski Resort
August 29, 2013
Waterford's Mountains from Ireland
At the height of the Celtic Tiger many people started going on ski holidays to the big resorts in mainland Europe.This combined with the arrival of German supermarket chains Lidl and Aldi who brought basic snowboards and ski gear at a much reduced rate led to an increase in the popularity of snowsports in Ireland. Now the Celtic Tiger era is but a distant memory and most people have had to drop the Winter Ski Holiday so much ski gear is lying redundant in Irish homes. However, don't despair, Ireland's winters have started to get colder and at times like these the mountains are beginning to gain popularity as much of this largely redundant ski gear is getting tested out on Irish mountain slopes. It is a frustrating game in Ireland waiting for snow but when it does happen Irish mountain slopes undergo a beautiful metamorphosis which is being recognised by an ever growing band of enthusiasts who thought outside the box. Proof of this has begun to emerge with the production of great ski and snowboard videos from the East Coast and South East mountain ranges combined with a massive vote of confidence by Snow-Forecast.com who have entered into the domestic Irish scene. All is looking good for the future what is needed in order for this to continue with more cold spells during the winter months.
Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) Ratings
Overall: 4.0. Based on 1 vote and 2 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts).
Public Transport: 3.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 5.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts).
Ski in/Ski out: 3.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 1.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 2.0
(1) Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 1.0
(1) The staff at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 5.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 5.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts), (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 5.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 5.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 5.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 5.0
(1) Overall, Knockanaffrin (Comeragh Mts) is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 13, 2013
Brian Simpson from Ireland
St.Patrick's Day,17th March 2006: lots of snow on ridge and rest of Comeragh range after a weather front coming from the South met with an easterly airflow. Went sledding on ridge with my brother up by Lough Mohra.
22 January 2007: went snowboarding on ridge lots of snow after a couple of days of it falling. If conditions were like this more regularly one could master the art of boarding here in very little time.
8 February 2007: snowboarding off ridge with brother up by Lough Mohra icy coating on the snow along the roadway really sped up the board got a good hang of it.
10 February 2007: went boarding with brother again snow on the way out getting very slushy and soft not a great outing.
19 March 2007: couple of days heavy snow showers went boarding with brother and brother in-law on Knocksheegowna very steep good fun.
20 January 2009: went snowboarding with brother knee to hip depth on top of col / ridge. Met man from Co.Tipperary when on way back down who was getting in some ski practice in preparation for an upcoming trip to the Italian Dolomites. He was delighted with the conditions. I took his photograph and it appeared on Matin King weather TV3 22 January 2009.