Snow-Forecast logoSnow mountain photo

Visitor reviews for Mount Kilimanjaro Ski Resort

Ski Resort Rating: Rate Mount Kilimanjaro

• January 14, 2014
    jenna from United States

Arusha Hostel Lodge and Adventures arranged my hike to Kilimanjaro and it was an incredible experience. The team of porters and guides that Justin (the owner) arranged were amazing. So warm, friendly and welcoming and always concerned with my health and how I was doing along the way. Every morning they would sing to me to cheer me on for the days hike. No other company on the mountain did that. On the worst days this helped me push through. After I made it to Uhuru peak they baked me a cake in the middle of one of our camp sites with nothing but a few ingredients and a small flame. I have no idea how they did it but it was the sweetest gesture and no other company did that. I could not have been more safe with this group of champion porters, guides and the cook. One of the greatest experiences of my life. I paid a fraction of the cost of what I would have paid for other companies and got so much more than I could have ever imagined. If you are looking for a company to climb Kili, look no further. AHLA is the only option.

• January 10, 2014
    Eddie D12 from United States

I climbed Kilimanjaro in December of 2013. It rained every afternoon and was quite chilly at night from day 2 through 7. We summited successfully on December 30th. It was about 10F degrees with a clear night sky. It was the hardest thing I've ever done. We climbed with Ultimate Kilimanjaro, who I highly recommend.

• October 11, 2012
    don jacques from France

No, glacier has not regressed because of supposed warming: at this altitude, temperature is always below 0°C and ice is not melting. But precipitations (snow) have been more rare for several years and ice can be sublimated (evaporation whithout melting), exactly has in a no frost frigidaire.

• November 03, 2009
    Frank Gray from United Kingdom

I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro twice as a teenager (from Delamere School, Nairobi) in 1965 and 1966, the second time going up in one day and sleeping overnight in the crater before proceeding to Uhuru peak. The view from Uhuru is breathtaking and, for much of the time, the clouds were below us. The ice glacier at the time occupied much of the crater and I have photographs of it. My daughter climbed Kili about 3 years ago and there was virtually no glacier in the crater. Another example of global warming. It would be great to hear reviews form any colleagues from Delamere on that trip. FRANK GRAY

• January 11, 2006
    Debs from South Africa

Imagine flying high above the clouds over Tanzania and suddenly seeing, peering out from under her morning snowy white duvet, the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, so close you can almost reach out to touch her.

Standing only 3 degrees south of the equator, she sports a solid cladding of glacial ice. Formed about 1.5million years ago, Kilimanjaro sours above the plains of the Ngorongoro like a majestic ballerina in her cotton tutu.

The most scenic route up is via Machame, which progressively winds up clearly laid paths through a forest of wild violets and red-hot pokers. Starting in comfortable temperatures, you head through paths of moss and lichens, which hang on towering trees, clothed in a blanket of mist. Above the forest line, the vegetation changes to scrubland with huge lobelia’s and giant daisy bushes, blooming like overgrown pompoms. Towards Shira ridge, the terrain becomes more rocky and soon melts into an expansive alpine desert, decorated with large deposits of volcanic rock and fine grey dust. Glacial ice pours off the summit, stretching ice like fingers down to a height of about 4800m. At this point, you have breaktaking views of Lava Tower. The crater of Kilimanjaro houses one of the most circular volcanic vents in the world, Ash Pit, and looming above the crater and Furtwangler Glacier, stands Uhuru Peak. At 5895m above sea level, it is the highest point in Africa, and the highest freestanding volcano in the world. A sunrise summit on a crystal clear day, and you will feel like you are standing on top of the world. With only 5 or 6 days of trekking behind you and a gold certificate in hand, it’s an experience that will live with you for a lifetime and an achievement to constantly reminisce over... glomed@mweb.co.za