Karpenisi Resort Reviews
1 am 05 Dec 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Karpenisi at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Karpenisi Ski Resort
April 22, 2013
Frederic from Greece
A nice, small local "Greek style" ski resort. Good spring skiing and nice view to the surroundings . Nice place for ski tours! I do not understand how can you compare it with Austria. Has nothing to do with it. A different ski area at all!! Austria is Austria and Greek ski resorts are a completely different destination.
Overall: 4.0. Based on 31 votes and 10 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Karpenisi.
Public Transport: 4.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Karpenisi, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Karpenisi, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.4
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Karpenisi.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.9
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Karpenisi, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Karpenisi is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Karpenisi relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.2
(1) There are no snow groomers at Karpenisi, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Karpenisi are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Karpenisi is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.6
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Karpenisi, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Karpenisi usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.3
(1) The staff at Karpenisi are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Karpenisi are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.1
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.4
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.9
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Karpenisi has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Karpenisi, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Karpenisi, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Karpenisi, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Karpenisi has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.9
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.9
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.9
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Karpenisi is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.9
(1) Overall, Karpenisi is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 13, 2012
gabriel from Greece
It is a very good resort. It is easy and quite close to Athens. You can have a nice and cheap accommodation in Karpenisi. The staff are really friendly and helpful. There are only 4 slopes but there are enough as there aren't many people.
January 25, 2012
leswoth from Austria
Karpenisi is one of the best ski resorts I have ever been to, even compared with Austrian resorts! Just awesome.
January 21, 2012
George from Greece
Excellent resort. The ski resort is only 12km from the city of Karpenissi. You can do skiing at the mountain Velouxi but also you can really enjoy the excellent small villages around. Great cafe, restaurants and a spectacular natural environment.
Many options if you want to spend many, many days at Karpenissi.
You won't get bored, that is for sure.
June 14, 2011
alex from Greece
The black run is red, only 4 slopes, the best is the black (1000m) and it has quite fast lift for a Greek resort.
Quite good for off-piste skiers.
February 24, 2011
Giorgos from Greece
Nice place for learning to ski, not for advanced skiers! 4 lifts on weekends but only 2 the rest. If you have a lot of time to spend, better choose another resort.
February 04, 2006
Panos_lamia from Greece
Karpenissi, or as the locals call this mountain "Velouxi", is a very nice ski resort. It usually has enough snow until June..there are 5 lifts working and by personal experience I can assure you can have a very pleasant day if you choose Karpenissi. The city of Karpenissi is very beautiful, with old buildings and luxurious hotels. Be careful of the climate when visiting this mountain!! It can be snowing when the city has sun and could be boiling when in the city it is raining ..