Bovec - Kanin
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Bovec - Kanin Ski Resort
July 28, 2015
Marcus Allrightous from Australia
While planning a ski trip to eastern Italy and Slovenia in the 2016 season I have discovered that the lifts & pistes on the Kanin/Slovenian side of the mountain have been closed for the past couple of seasons due to a 'malfunction' of the cable car and the subsequent bankruptcy of the resort operator. And according to the Bovec tourist information office there is no official word on when they might reopen.
Having enjoyed visiting the Soca valley during spring a decade ago I thought it would be nice to visit again in winter, particularly as they have the highest elevation ski area in the Julian Alps. Lets hope they can get their act together soon so that we can spend some money there!
Bovec - Kanin Ratings
Overall: 4.1. Based on 3 votes and 9 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Bovec - Kanin.
Public Transport: 3.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Bovec - Kanin, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Bovec - Kanin, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.5
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 5.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Bovec - Kanin.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.5
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Bovec - Kanin, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Bovec - Kanin is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Bovec - Kanin relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Bovec - Kanin, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Bovec - Kanin are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Bovec - Kanin is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 5.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Bovec - Kanin, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.5
(1) Bovec - Kanin usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 5.0
(1) The staff at Bovec - Kanin are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Bovec - Kanin are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.5
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 5.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Bovec - Kanin has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Bovec - Kanin, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Bovec - Kanin, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Bovec - Kanin, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Bovec - Kanin has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 5.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 5.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Bovec - Kanin is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.5
(1) Overall, Bovec - Kanin is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
August 29, 2010
Chris Franklin from United Kingdom
Yes, since the great link with Sella Nevea was finished, the skiing here at Bovec - Kanin has become superb with excellent swooping red runs across the border and majestic off-piste which seems limitless! Backed up by crowdless slopes, cheap prices and extra skiing just down the road in Tarvisio, it's an amazing place to ski! Want more info? contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
January 19, 2010
Deb Smith from United Kingdom
We travelled to Kanin (Bovec - Kanin) in Jan 2010 with a holiday firm called Basealp. The apartments and service were fantastic - my little boy had his first ski lessons (many thanks to Dejan) and he loved it. This is such a fantastic area with amazing scenery and we will definitely be going again. Can't recommend it highly enough.
April 14, 2009
Nick d from United Kingdom
The scenery in the Julian Alps is breathtaking. Skied Bovec (Bovec - Kanin), Tarvisio, Sella Nevea & Arnoldstein over Feb 2009 half-term. Tons of snow but needed a fresh fall in places. Bovec (Bovec - Kanin) was limited for beginners and not all lifts were open, but all red pistes were fun and varied. The link cable car to Sella Nevea will make a really lovely area. Food/drink were reasonable prices and accomodation was good; thanks Hucksters Lodge. A long journey by coach (full of Welsh), and you might want to get a bit more organised.
Italian resorts were better for beginners and were almost empty. Interesting to ski 3 countries in 6 days.
February 02, 2008
Michalis from Greece
Visited Kanin at the end of January 2008. Unfortunately we faced spring time snow conditions. Remarkable scenery, demanding off-piste, somehow limited pistes. Fully exploited the unique opportunity to ski in three different countries!!! Value for money accommodation, food and logistics. Many thanks to Dragan from Joffitours and Mats & Spilla from Outdoor Freaks for the ultimate traveling experience. Certainly, we will meet again...
March 15, 2007
jeff from United Kingdom
Visited Kanin in March 07 with the guys from Basealp. Timing was just right as they had 40cm of fresh the day before we got there!! Got fresh tracks for the next 3 days. Lots of very good off-piste terrain and a fun park too. Proper big mountain terrain. Cheap but very good booze and food, will def be going back. Thanks to the guys at Basealp for a very enjoyable holiday (www.basealp.com).
December 08, 2006
Jo from United Kingdom
My husband and I have a house in Zaga (6km from Bovec) and we were lucky enough to be there for the month of September this year. We had such an amazing time Kayaking and mountain biking!! We will be returning during the winter to take advantage of the ski and snowboarding facilities there. The latest news at the resort is that the link to Sella Nevea (Ski resort in Italy on the north facing side of the Julian Alps) will be completed for next season... BRING IT ON!!! Send me an email if you are looking for accommodation- email@example.com
October 16, 2006
Dave Truscott from United Kingdom
After visiting Tignes/Val, Les arc, 3 Valleys etc this winter, I wasn't expecting too much from the Kanin ski area in Slovenia, especially as it was May when we visited (white water rafting trip). The ski area has the highest slopes in Slovenia (2300m)and the terrain once we got up there was amazing. What followed was one of the most enjoyable days off- piste riding I've had anywhere. The place is like a giant fun park with drops, jumps and chutes everywhere. I will definately be returning in winter 07' as the place has loads of lift accessed off-piste that noone seems to bother with. Good cheap food and beer, very friendly locals, no crowds & un-touched powder! What more can you ask for. Take your own board though as I think we got the only 2 in town and they were ancient.
November 22, 2005
Bevan from United Kingdom
I boarded for a total of about 2 weeks here last winter- over several long weekends from the UK. Very dramatic scenery with some challenging runs. The resort is going to be linked to the Italian resort Sella Neva in the next few years, this will double the ski area and add much needed beginner slopes. This resort has a great future.. I cant wait to get back. The resturant at the top is great value with hearty stews and beers costing just over £1.