Jasná - Chopok Resort Reviews
7 pm 19 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Jasna - Chopok at m altitude issued:
Jasná - Chopok
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Jasná - Chopok Ski Resort
January 02, 2017
Justin Garrett from Slovakia
Great conditions for this time of year and whilst there is still plenty of terrain yet to open up, the piste and south side off-piste was in good condition. I was skiing on 31 Dec, some two days after the latest fresh falls, but the snow was still light and dry. Packed powder off-piste on the south, giving a good work out, whilst the north face piste was great for edging for short turns or big carving. Late in the day, once much of the snow had been pushed around, it got a bit icy underneath in some places but wasn't that bad you couldn't hold an edge. The sun was out all day and no wind, so was very comfortable and enjoyable day. All bar one of the main lifts were running, so was plenty of access to the mountain. A very enjoyable day.
Jasná - Chopok Ratings
Overall: 4.0. Based on 20 votes and 12 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Jasná - Chopok.
Public Transport: 4.3
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Jasná - Chopok, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Jasná - Chopok, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.1
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Jasná - Chopok.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.7
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Jasná - Chopok, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Jasná - Chopok is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Jasná - Chopok relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Jasná - Chopok, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Jasná - Chopok are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Jasná - Chopok is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Jasná - Chopok, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.6
(1) Jasná - Chopok usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.9
(1) The staff at Jasná - Chopok are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Jasná - Chopok are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.4
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.6
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Jasná - Chopok has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Jasná - Chopok, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Jasná - Chopok, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Jasná - Chopok, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Jasná - Chopok has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.8
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Jasná - Chopok is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.9
(1) Overall, Jasná - Chopok is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 16, 2013
Martin Shimanski from United Kingdom
Bratislava. We had a hire car awaiting us at the airpot. Journey to Liptovsky Mikulas was nearly 3 hours. Stayed at 3 star Hotel Klar in Mikulas. It was cheap and clean. Hotel was situated in centre of town. Lots of places to eat, would recommend to have Halusky with sheep cheese! Yummy, although my wife preferred meat feast Horehonsky resen. It is 30 min drive to resort and after a few runs we had decided to use the bus shuttle service. I guess it worked out cheaper than a car. Service was reliable and on time. Info was provided at hotel we stayed in. I would reccomend to look at sites such as mikulas.sk and jasna.sk both in English.
Snow conditions were near perfect with loads of snow and all pistes were taken care of. There is also a new cable car Funitell which was one of the reasons we chose this resort. There is plenty of things to do after you have spent your day on skis. I would recommend Tatralandia, in Mikulas, and Besenova spa resort. Outside hot spring is just fabulous. We have been told to go see mountain range High Tatras,but did not have enough time. Maybe next time. Oh, almost forgot to mention, when we woke up late there is local ski slope about 2min. from town - Opalisko, for those who had few drinks with locals night before :-)
Overall, we had great fun, lots of skiing. We are already making plans to go next season! Many thanks, Martin and Charlotte.
January 03, 2013
Bart from Poland
Pretty shitty up there!
Prices too high!
Walk paths iced not topped with sand or salt.
3 o'clock you won't get on tram from Biel to Funitel with no reason!
Too much Police around trying to catch you on speed camera.
Food so so!
Bus stops with no timetables (skibus).
Bus driver when he sees ski/snow boarders says skibus is just right behind me which is lie of course. He just do not want to clean his bus after.
This is my point of view!
December 12, 2011
Andy Carrol from United Kingdom
My family and I had a great week in Jasna in March 2011. We stayed in a catered chalet directly opposite the Zahradky chairlift run by Ski and Snowboard Slovakia (skiandsnowboardslovakia.com) independent chalet holiday company run by an English couple who have 3 chalets in Jasna. The snow was not amazing for our stay but I think it was the same for everywhere in Europe this year but the chalet and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend Jasna resort as it is a little hidden gem with really modern facilities and for the price it is hard to beat.
March 25, 2009
Gill from United Kingdom
We visited Jasná - Chopok for Feb half-term. Our third trip and it was superb. This year there were minimal lift queues but last year they were disastrous with endless waiting around. You need to try to figure out whether it is either Slovak or Polish school holidays at Jasná - Chopok and if it is, think about going somewhere else. This year there were few other kids and it was fine.
This year saw the best snow I have had anywhere - even if the snow is poor, as it was last year, there are plenty of blowers and a reasonable coverage.
It's a good family destination because lessons are reasonably priced. There is a good mix of blues, reds and blacks, although a couple of the blues are quite challenging. We always take our kids to one of the aquaparks - Besenova or Tatralandia half way through the week for a break - amazing hot thermal springs and great fun. We stay in Liptovsky Mikulas - the nearest large town to Jasná - Chopok. There is a mix of accomodation and you can catch the service bus up (takes about 30 min and costs £3 for 4) or drive. Lots of nice places to eat - the resorts itself can be like a ghost town after 5pm.
February 25, 2009
Guy Pocock from United Kingdom
I have just returned with my family from an absolutely fabulous holiday in Jasna (Jasná - Chopok). We stayed in one of the houses right next to the Zahradky 6 man chair lift from 16th - 23rd February 09, booked through email@example.com (Anna was very helpful and speaks good English).
The ski resort benefits from extensive pistes (34km) on the north side of Chopok mountain with 11km of pistes on the southern side. Whilst we were at Jasna (Jasná - Chopok) the snow conditions were powder on all pistes and the off-piste skiing was extensive & superb. With the fall in the value of the £, the ski passes were quite expensive, but the pistes were very well maintained, so I guess it was worth it.
The main benefit for us of staying in the resort was immediate access to the 'modern' ski lifts, but at night the entertainment was limited. There are no food shops and only hotel restaurants in the resort. But there are plenty of shops in the nearby town (about a 20 minute taxi ride away). Most people appear to come to the resort in the morning by car/bus; there is a regular bus service from the town that picks up skiers along the route.
All in all, I thoroughly recommend Jasna (Jasná - Chopok) - better than the 6 other resorts we have tried and before you ask, that does include 3 "posh" resorts in the Alps.
Give Jasna a try - you won't be disappointed.
September 04, 2008
Krzysztof from Poland
Chopok is an exellent place to ski. Families shall enjoy it better when staying on the northern slopes. These are better equipped with restaurants and lifts, and generally less demanding (although also here, there are a few more
difficult slopes and are plenty full of off-piste possibilities). Advanced skiers and profis should not miss the slopes on the south of Chopok. Only a few runs are being "prepared" here. All the rest depends on skiers and (really few) snowboarders. In Bystra (south) you will find less accommodation than in Mikulas (north), so you better do not come there without arranging a place to stay in advance. Have fun !
January 26, 2008
kevin from United Kingdom
Just had a short 3 day break. We got 6 inches the first night so great skiing. Started to get a little thin on the last day lower down on busy pistes. Overall, Jasna is good value for money.
With a good dump there is loads of good off-pisting to be had in both open areas and through the trees. Stayed in Liptov Apartments in Liptovsky Mikulas; clean and tidy and cheap. Would recommend Jasna.
November 27, 2007
Luke Skywalker from United Kingdom
Had an excellent time in Jasna with the guys from www.chaletslovakia.com. Would recommend it to anyone as value for money and great skiing and boarding.
February 22, 2006
MSG from Slovakia
I live in Bratislava and I was in Jasná - Chopok, but I do not know about this shortage (Black Hole?), please, can anybody show me where I can get that hours of transportation back?