Hopfgarten Resort Reviews
7 am 19 Oct 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Hopfgarten at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Hopfgarten Ski Resort
October 16, 2014
Stephen Barker from United Kingdom
I love this place; used it heavily in the late 80’s early 90’s (Xmas and New-year). Had an accident so I was out for a few years. Returned in 2012, all but a few lifts replaced so it's all state of the art. 2013 had little snow but that didn’t matter they make their own very well. Will be returning Xmas 2014/15. Love the place and always will. Skied Italy, France, Germany and Canada on many occasions. They don’t beat the SkiWelt Wilder Kaiser Brixental.
Overall: 4.2. Based on 1 vote and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Hopfgarten.
Public Transport: 5.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Hopfgarten, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Hopfgarten, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 5.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Hopfgarten is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Hopfgarten relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Hopfgarten, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Hopfgarten are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Hopfgarten is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Hopfgarten, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.0
(1) Hopfgarten usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 5.0
(1) The staff at Hopfgarten are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Hopfgarten are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 5.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Hopfgarten has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Hopfgarten, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 5.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Hopfgarten, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Hopfgarten, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Hopfgarten has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 5.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
Other Sports: 2.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 5.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 5.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.0
(1) Overall, Hopfgarten is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.0
(1) Overall, Hopfgarten is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 08, 2011
Alan Willis from United Kingdom
Hopfgarten, the absolute top resort. I have been going there for years, never had a bad ski trip yet. Loads of resorts within easy reach, ski somewhere different each day if you like: skiing at Brixen is an absolute legend, Westendorf great for beginners; something for everybody. Nightlife can be quiet but it is there if you know where to look. Intersport ski hire shop is the tops, great staff, really good hire equipment. Going again at half term Feb, got all my kit ready to go, really looking forward to it as usual.
January 16, 2010
Peter Cartwright from United Kingdom
Just come back from a weeks stay in Hopfgarten.
Stayed at Sport Hotel Fuchs (location fantastic) 35 paces from ski hire shop (Kurtz). Excellent service in the ski shop.
From the ski shop to the lift for the gondola another 11 paces.
This is a good resort for intermediates / advanced skiers but not really a beginners resort.
You have to go down red runs to get to the easier blues in Brixem.
In Hopfgarten itself I only found two blue runs.
Number 25 which was very busy with people trying to access other lifts.
Number 20 which is a red / blue run, back to Hopfgarten.
The resort itself is very quiet, there were no queues for the gondola.
If you want easy access to the Ski Welt area in a quiet resort, Hopfgarten is the place to go.
January 14, 2009
Frank The Tank from South Africa
This place (Hopfgarten) is a legend. Off-piste is good, lots of secret little routes and little kickers. Snow Parks are insane too.
Watch out for the schnapps wheel in the The Silver Bullet - it will get ya.
November 29, 2003
Heath Judson from United Kingdom
For a small resort with big links this is a cheap way to ski the Ski Welt. Relaxed instructors make life a breeze, and the live music in the Silver Bullet pub at the start and end of the week are not to be missed, look out for your instuctor working somewhere else at night, ours, Patrick, cooks in his families resteraunt at night!!!