Hemlock Resort Resort Reviews
4 am 02 Aug 2015(local time) Weather Forecast for Hemlock Resort at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Hemlock Resort Ski Resort
March 31, 2014
SnowBear from Canada
Wow, March is here, spring break and up to the mountain we go again, this time we did some tubing. Our adult children had a ball, they said it definitely was the attendants who made the experience so fun. The tube hill is not very long but this sure tells you that the staff make all the difference.
We also did some skiing. The snow, for this time of year, was great, no sticking to the snow, yet. LOL. Again the staff were great.
Well, we had to try the snowshoeing, we went off on our own and the views of the valley and resort area was just awesome, definitely will be doing this again.
The resort offers quite a few other things to do than just riding, we will be doing it all again soon. Sure will be great once the new owner replaces some of these relics called chairs. Hope to see you on the slopes or trails, it's just good to play outdoors here.
Hemlock Resort Ratings
Based on 33 votes. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Hemlock Resort.
Public Transport: 2.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Hemlock Resort, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Hemlock Resort, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.7
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Hemlock Resort.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.3
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Hemlock Resort, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Hemlock Resort is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Hemlock Resort relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.2
(1) There are no snow groomers at Hemlock Resort, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Hemlock Resort are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Hemlock Resort is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Hemlock Resort, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.1
(1) Hemlock Resort usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.5
(1) The staff at Hemlock Resort are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Hemlock Resort are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.1
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Hemlock Resort has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Hemlock Resort, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Hemlock Resort, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Hemlock Resort, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Hemlock Resort has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.3
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.9
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.6
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.6
(1) Overall, Hemlock Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.7
(1) Overall, Hemlock Resort is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 30, 2013
ski bum from Canada
Hemlock is a good resort - but could do so much better. Couple of years ago - we left the comment on SnowFlake Resort and Hemlock Hollow. We have used all 3 services and our comments about the 3rd one being grouchy and crancky was based on our experiance and how things went. We do not know how everyone is doing, rather we look for a good time and service and fun. How can we help attitude and what we found? With the 3rd provider we felt like we were bothering them and they were renting to us as a huge favor. When we come we pay full price. We are not there on any deal, it's just our comments on our experience. The 3rd provider may be good but their customer service is like rock skiing in September, not much fun and painful.
As for the mtn, the place can do so well, just so little has changed. Someone said the new owner has done sewer and water upgrades. That is good but when we buy a lift ticket we look for the ski experience. Lifts that run (not broken down) and night skiing, where the lights work, is all we look for. The staff are always very good but just a little more resources. It could be such a great ski area.
We have faith in Hemlock and yes, we will be back and staying with Snowflake resort or Hemlock Hollow; their service makes up for any rough conditions. Here is what we hope is a great 2013/2014 season :)
March 03, 2013
Snow Bear from Canada
Wow, the powder we have enjoyed is great. Were up at Christmas and it was busy with all the sun and such, but the one thing we were dissappointed in was at the end of the run, we had to plow through Ski School, people just standing around or of all things taking off their equipment and leaving it on the access road to the chair. This is very frustrating to everyone we spoke to as well who were riding on the mtn. Almost ran over a pedestrian while trying to assess the small chair, no matter the other chair.
Have returned again and no matter if they're busy or not, this seems to be a problem. Hopefully, they will figure things out as this was a fun mountain to ride on this past Feb.
See you on the mountain.
January 10, 2013
Rockin Ronnie from Canada
We ventured back to this mountain over Xmas this year. The conditions were awesome. The grooming was well done and bluebird skies treated us to some glorious days of skiing. There were more people than we remember last time, but they had music on the deck and outside BBQ going which seemed to be a hit with a lot of people. All in all, a great week of fun. So much so we have started looking for a place there.
March 28, 2012
speedy from United States
I visited Hemlock with a friend on Saturday, March 24 and I was pleasantly surprised. This place is a hidden gem of a ski resort. We hit bluebird skies, great snow conditions and no crowds. This resort has really fun terrain and skis, much bigger than the acreage would suggest. The runs are open and lightly treed with a fun mix of intermediate cruisers, powder bowls and a few easy green runs. I understand there are big development plans for the future. If so this place will be able to compete with Sun Peaks and Silver Star. On the down side, the access road is a little rough and the lifts are old but seem to be in good repair.
February 13, 2012
Rockin Ronnie from Canada
We have visited Hemlock the last few weekends in a row and have found a variety of conditions. One thing no one has control over is the weather. We have seen 15" of glorious powder to well groomed fast snow and some flurries. Must say the staff and people we have met have been nothing but friendly. Then runs are not long but short if any lineups let you ski 'til your hearts content before taking a seat in the lodge. We will most definitely be back. Although the road has some gravel it has been in very good shape to travel each time we have made the trip. We will return and hope the weatherman brings sun.
January 26, 2012
stop_being_a_sally from Canada
To another reviewer, get your facts straight. Sasquatch chair was closed on Jan 14 because of weather, the winds were blowing in excess of 70 km/h, that's why it was closed, and yeah, Red chair is a bit older so it sometimes gets closed for maintenance. If you waited 30 min to an hr you would have seen that it opened back up and same with Sasquatch. Hemlock has been getting more snow that most mountains in the valley.
January 23, 2012
cwsnowpro from Canada
Sunday Jan 23/11: this is small, locally owned and maintained on a shoestring budget. Due to ever changing weather conditions the access road is the dbl black run! Be careful and carry chains if you dare to be without snowtires :(
Great group of locals willing to share secret stashes. Great short vert runs with a cpl of old fixed lifets,1dbl,1triple.
The area is bowl shaped and sometimes does have an issue with the wind, not Sunday! All lifts running and all peeps with big powder grins :) Closed Mon-Wed so plan on being there for Powder Thursday, and it's free for the ladies! Worth while visit.
January 18, 2012
Mark from Canada
To another reviewer. We were also there on January 14th from 8:30am to 1pm. The weather was bad with zero visibility due to snowfall and heavy wind. I was on the last run of the day for Sasquatch around noon and it was blowing so hard it had to go up on slow speed. Damn, it was cold! Anyway, the ski club rode all morning, everywhere. Sounds like your timing was bad.
January 17, 2012
Warren from Canada
Arrived on Saturday, Jan 14, for half day and got only 1 run in due to chair repairs shutdown on Skyline. Saskquatch was closed too. Those of us on the chair were told that the closure was due to maintenance. The public at the ticket office were told that the closure was due to "weather". Something needs to be done to provide honesty to mountain users about weather conditions, wait times (we waited 20 min for Skyline chair). We demanded a refund and got it - but only after driving up and going through the ordeal. Other users were only allowed a coupon and some were not provided with any compensation. Not a good day.
January 15, 2012
BigK from Canada
My favourite mountain, of all the mountains in BC! and I have skied a lot of them! I have my roots here, so it always holds a special place. Other mountains may be bigger, or higher, or get more snow.....but believe me, once you get to know Hemlock, you will not want to go anywhere else! Great variety of runs, good snow conditions, and unreal views on clear days! not to mention, short lines = lots of runs! The chairs are outdated but that adds to the quaintness of the resort, and doesn't take away form the experience! Great little bar too, and very family friendly, I will be teaching my daughter to ski here next year! Here is to many more great years at Hemlock, come up, stay for a few days and you'll see what I mean! And pleassseeee get on with the expansion, but lets try and keep the same old vibe!
January 13, 2012
SSJ from Canada
To another reviewer, interesting that financial success of a given accommodation provider is discussed in this forum. Seems a little out of place. Also, your post seems like an add for "mountain accommodation".
January 12, 2012
Ski bum also from Canada
Surprised that you would publish commentary such as that read from "ski bum on January 05 2012". This person is obviously a supporter of the Snowflake & Hemlock Hollow accommodation providers and not of the veteran Mountain Accommodation Services which, by the way, is the provider of 25 years of accommodation at Hemlock and also the largest and only financially successful of the providers. Also surprised that you allow a commentary to say that the owner and operator of the resort is "stunned". It is completely unfair to the new resort owner who is spending lots of money and struggling through difficult times to keep a very quaint and enjoyable smaller ski area up and running. If your weather forecast was not so good I would erase your bookmark. Please try to keep your commentaries non-political and not so obviously promoting certain businesses.
[note from the editor: it is not our aim to promote certain businesses. Resort Reviews exists to allow opinion to be aired on various aspects of resort infrastructure and services etc.]
January 11, 2012
Lisa from Canada
I was out this morning (10:30 with Colin), and I just wanted to let you know how extremely stoked I am right now. I nearly bailed on coming out at all since I was coming up alone and I was nervous about the drive from Langley, and I'm so glad I didn't. I lucked out by being the only one in the lesson, and Colin was just awesome, especially considering it was my first time up. I unfortunately couldn't stay long today, but after my lesson this morning I would have stayed on the mountain until you dragged me off of it. I can't wait to come up again. Thank-you so so much!!
January 05, 2012
ski bum from Canada
Good accommodation - best to use SnowFlake Resort or Hemlock Holow - other one is grouchy. Place is nice - just seems to be in time warp - all that ever changes is more rust on buildings and peeling paint. Place could do so well - if they just fixed up and upgraded a little. When night skiing lights go out - replace the bulb. It's the little mountain that could - could do really well if someone who knew what they they were doing did something. News is there is a new owner - sounds like he is as stunned as the old owner. Well lets hope - there may be a 3rd owner and we will be 3rd time lucky.
November 22, 2011
canali from Canada
Went to Hemlock a few yrs back when Cypress was closed due to the Olympics...nice little mtn with some good runs and variety....if I was living close by I'd sure make use of it often.
October 22, 2011
Dave from Canada
This cute little resort is a hidden gem that has a wonderful staff and typically gets great snow. My family and I have been seasons pass holders for 5 years and we love the experience we get each and everytime we visit Hemlock.
Dave, Abbotsford BC
April 13, 2011
Triplany from Canada
Spent 4 days - mid March up at Snowflake, in Hemlock. We got dumped on for snow! Made for some great skiing! Thursday ladies ski free and Friday was $5 night skiing. So some fantastic deals for families. The Bunny Hill and Dream are fantastic for beginners! Although at night the intermediate run that is open feeds into Dream and you get some people screaming through the green run (my wife, who is a real beginner found this a little unsettling at times). We went to Hemlock a lot this season just because of the great value! We plan on spending our Christmas up there this coming season. If you are looking for a fun, challenging mountain, with a great value it's well worth looking here. The road up is gravel but extremely well maintained. Of all the mountains we went to this year only time I needed chains due to poor road conditions was at Seymour.
March 21, 2011
Bill from Canada
Haven't been to Hemlock for years until this weekend. No lift line-ups and great prices compared to other places. Did I mention the tons of snow they have?!?
March 09, 2011
stephen from Canada
One of the most undervalued mountains. Wide open terrain for fantastic powder skiing. The little mountain that could....
There is still a myth out there, that there is never snow in Hemlock?!
We have had season passes since over 10 years and there was one year with not enough snow to operate. I know of many days when the other "local" mountains were closed, when Hemlock enjoyed great conditions.
The fact is, you can have bad days anywhere.
Come on and try!
February 01, 2011
chilliwack pass holder from Canada
The conditions are great, the snow is the best around and the staff are excellent. If you haven't ridden Hemlock you best get up there. Terrain park has every experience level covered: big hits or a powdery tree ride and everything inbetween. Rock on Hemlock, kinda looking forward to the expansion.
January 16, 2011
Val from Canada
While it was raining hard everywhere else, Hemlock (Hemlock Resort) had none on Saturday the 15th of Jan. The snow was great, we all had a ball. The road going up isn't up to par, but once you get there it is spectacular.
January 21, 2010
Susan from Afghanistan
Wow, the weather reports said rain and we have sun and great ski conditons, even when the local mtns are closed. The indoor staff were great. We enjoyed to skiing, boarding and snow shoeing at Hemlock Resort. The snow for the amount recorded is great. Come and enjoy with us. See you soon.