- Other resorts in India are reporting: powder (0) | good piste (0)
- Get e-mail snow alerts for Gulmarg
- Print this forecast
Visitor reviews for Gulmarg Ski Resort
February 23, 2015
willcheshire from India
I'm here with Di5 adventures and having an amazing time with Andy.
This is my first time to Gulmarg and if no one was to tell me it was the worst season in a decade, I wouldn't have guessed.
The snow, today, was a bit heavy and slow. Although getting the split boards out and skinning through the trees still ticks the boxes I came here for.
A huge snowfall reported to fall over the next few days will allow a few more days at Barber Reshi, in waist deep powder, on a steep pitch. Another box to tick.
Certainly a destination for those looking for a different type of ski holiday; Gulmarg is the one. When researching make sure you check out Di5 as a tour option. Couldn't recommend it any higher
Based on 21 votes. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gulmarg.
Public Transport: 3.2
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gulmarg, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gulmarg, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.4
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gulmarg.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Gulmarg, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gulmarg is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Gulmarg relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.2
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gulmarg, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gulmarg are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gulmarg is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.4
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gulmarg, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.6
(1) Gulmarg usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.3
(1) The staff at Gulmarg are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gulmarg are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gulmarg has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gulmarg, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.6
(1) Not even a kicker at Gulmarg, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Gulmarg, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Gulmarg has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.3
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.8
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.3
(1) Overall, Gulmarg is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.3
(1) Overall, Gulmarg is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
Based on 21 votes. Vote
February 15, 2015
Peter Robinson from Australia
For experienced skier/boarder contemplating a visit to Gulmarg, the best information on safety conditions is:
Note: the avalanche risk does not apply to Gulmarg's beginner and intermediate slopes which are on the lower mountain.
Founder, Ski Himalaya
February 15, 2014
hitesh from India
Gulmarg is a very nice place. It is in the Switzerland of India. People (in Kashmir) Gulmarg are very co operative and friendly. it is a good place to visit in February for snow and the best place for skiing. Gulmarg is the world's best place.
January 08, 2014
Joseph roth from United Kingdom
Hi guys, what a time to reach Gulmarg based on snow forecast.com. I came here just 1 day ahead of big storm and today, at avalanche awareness, I see only 25 foreigners so I said to myself "wow, it's just us and the mountain and pow pow; bring it on".
My stay is at hotelalpineridge and based on reviews I think I made a right choice as all others guys seemed sulking over hot water and heating issues but not at my hotel it seems my trip is gonna be a once in a life time experience.
Guys, am here for next month so will keep posting you with latest in Gulmarg till then it's powder time.
March 11, 2013
Adlin from India
We have planned to visit Gulmarg in April / May. Will we get to see snow meadows.
February 25, 2013
Anjum from India
its better to have a nearest hotel to gondola,
hotel hilltop is available
it depends on the budget ,
I would suggest khaleel palce and Florence are cheaper ones.
thank for more info,
February 13, 2013
Anjum from India
Peace to everyone.
Gulmarg is the safest place still this time as curfew is being imposed by government in whole Kashmir valley.
In Gulmarg you forget everything and just mind on ski, fun, nature.
Love my Gulmarg.
For latest updates and news about situation in Gulmarg call 9018289449
Also visit for safest snow ski pakages @ gulmargski.in
woooow, have fun..
January 04, 2013
Justinejames from Australia
Hi, reached Gulmarg and surprised by snow as well as hotels.
The resort is open for skiing and as usual putting ip in alpine ridge the lounge has been upgraded along with rooms.
There's a new 5 star that's come up near gondola: the Khyber.
God this place keeps on surprising me every new season.
October 31, 2012
Vinay Kapur from India
- For skiing, Jan end & Feb are good months.
- For Summer, April to July are good months but no snow.
February 13, 2012
Anjum Afzal from India
Peace be unto you all.
I live in Srinagar.
At this moment I am in Gulmarg for skiing, probably up to 23 Feb. At this moment it's (snow) heavily falling.
If anyone needs any help, can call me +91 90182 89449.
It's fabulous every time I ski here,
February 09, 2012
Speedracer from Australia
Justinejames, can you comment on Pine Palace hotel? Is it still reasonable to stay at, as I find Pine Palace platnium too expensive for me. Or has anyone seen or experienced Uppharwatt hotel?
Also, I have heard that second phase gondola might not be reopened. Any comments whether it is still worth going to Gulmarg?
[note from the editor: this post will remain for a short time]
February 05, 2012
sven from Austria
To another reveiwer:
We stay at the Heevan retreat. Looks ok and so are the reviews. Nice to hear you have a good time out there in Gulmarg.
I always now go to gulmargsnowsafety dot com they use the snow-forcast information plus the actual avalanche situation.
Really looking forward to our time in Gulmarg:
February 01, 2012
Justinejames from Australia
As far as I have seen snow-forecast.com is the best and most accurate and most dependable forecast site. You can try insat images also. As you are travelling in March it's always lot of snow in Gulmarg that time around. We have been skiing here and the last few days were awesome.
Double check where you are staying as there is a lot of misinformation about lodging in Gulmarg. I would recommend Alpine Ridge..pinepaace platinum..gee an retreat as they are only reputed and trustworthy hotels next to gondola.
January 10, 2012
Mathimaran from India
We stayed at Gulmarg 31st Dec 2011 to 2nd Jan 2012 and it was great. Enjoyed ski and snow. People at Gulmarg are very friendly, helpful and trust worthy. We stayed at Gulmarg Resorts, well heated as required and the staff are courteous.
Recommend everyone to visit whenever you get opportunity.
January 09, 2012
Justine james from Australia
Hi, I'm currently in Gulmarg and the snow conditions are good. I'm staying at Alpine Ridge nearest to Gondola; well equiped with heating and good power backup considering there was no electricity from last few days, they managed to keep us warm and service is excellent.
Gulmarg is looking good for the season I may extend my stay.
January 04, 2012
richard from Ukraine
From what I have heard, it is snowing up there. Will be snowy. The huts are located centrally. Best for the view.
December 19, 2011
Ifshan khanday from India
Hi. I run a ski inn ski out hotel in gulmarg by name of alpine ridge.I would be more than happy to answer any queries relAted to gulmarg.
We are expecting snow today and tomorrow.let's hope for the best.
December 19, 2011
Ifshan khanday from India
Hi. I run a ski-in ski-out hotel in Gulmarg by name of alpine ridge. I would be more than happy to answer any queries related to Gulmarg.
December 13, 2011
madhusudan madhukar from India
Hey, I'm going for skiing course commencing from 26/12/11, being organised by iism, Gulmarg. I want to know I wear spectacles and without which I can't see. So do I need lens for skiing and what are the clothes we are going to need in Gulmarg.
[note from the editor: this post will stay in place for a short time]
November 16, 2011
Mehraj Din from India
The best time of skiing in Gulmarg is 15th Jan to 20 Feb.
November 09, 2011
Shauky Putoo from India
Greetings from Kashmir,
It is great to know about your interest of skiing in Kashmir. The ski season lasts from December till March and the best period is through January and February.
If you need some more information please feel free to write to o2advenATgmail.com
October 31, 2011
sahil majid from India
We all the people are waiting the fresh snow falling this year 2011.
Gulmarg looks beautiful in winter than summer..................
April 12, 2011
Bozorgzadegan Amir from Iran, Islamic Republic of
I would like to ski in Gulmarg some day in future, while my age, health and stimulant permit.
But I hear about the problem of security in Srinagar area more or less.
As though, the sounds of paradise come through Keshmir area too.
hope to be able to follow my plan soon.
April 04, 2011
Majid from India
It is fresh snow falling in Gulmarg yesterday.
March 16, 2011
DO from United Kingdom
After a month and a half there this season I can honestly say that Gulmarg is an awesome place to ski - great terrain, and if you're prepared to skin, fresh lines for days after a snowfall...
But be prepared for what you're getting into: Brian and his guys do an amazing job with regards to snow safety in very difficult circumstances, but the gondola will close for days at a time due to the various inefficiencies of their Indian counterparts. When it does run, prepare to get snaked in the queue by local 'celebrity' Billa and the rest of his mannerless Kashmiri cohorts, who would get punched out if they behaved the way they do at any other resort in the world.
Oh, and you will get ill as sanitation/cleanliness is literally from the dark ages...
The most frustrating place I've ever skied, but I'll be back, God help me...
February 21, 2011
Saadat from India
The season has started now. With more snowfall scheduled for the coming weeks. The best time is yet to come. Already been to Gulmarg 4-5 times over the weekends and it can't get better than that. Always go Gulmarg for some of the best powder in the world. The Heli-ski operation that has started this year has made Gulmarg one of the best ski destinations in the world. And we Kashmiris are known world over for our hospitality. So come over and enjoy 'Paradise on Earth'.
February 19, 2011
umi from India
Hi guys, it is awesome right now here: snow everywhere, skiers paradise, gondola is fully functional and it is 'd' best time to visit 'dis' place if you are interested in powder skiing. So guys, pack your bags 'n come over.
February 12, 2011
Yanik from Canada
Love Gulmarg. Have been here 4 winter seasons. Laid back atmosphere and friendly culture. Most of the time, tons of snow to shred.
Now with the chopper around, even more fun to have. When heli-skiing on Tuesday with Gulmarg Heliski (blue sky and professional team) it was just perfect.
January 20, 2011
Audil from India
I'm a Kashmiri, currently residing in Bangalore (India) from last 3 years. But I have never missed Gulmarg Winter. Mid Feb is best time to visit Gulmarg. I have also booked ticket for 7th Feb and we will meet in Gulmarg on 10th Feb. My friends are waiting for me. We will surely have a great fun this year too. Cheers!
January 18, 2011
Leon from New Zealand
Latest update on conditions: recent snowfall has allowed top gondola to open and there has been some great riding in the main bowl and near ridges. However, theres still plenty of rocks and other interesting things just below the surface that are waiting to befriend your skis or board. A solid dump is still required. A metre or two and youll be laughing.
We've been having some great riding in super nice powder but the true epic Gulmarg is yet to show itself.