Gulmarg Resort Reviews
10 am 20 Feb 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Gulmarg at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Gulmarg Ski Resort
January 21, 2017
Andrew Turland from Australia
The daily avalanche forecast is now available at:
Daily backcountry avalanche advisory for the Gulmarg community. Advisories are built from snowpit data from the Gulmarg Ski Patrol and Snow Safety Officer Luke Smithwick. A service provided by the Jammu & Kashmir Tourism Department.
Check this page regularly to get educated and stay safe.
Overall: 3.6. Based on 22 votes and 56 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gulmarg.
Public Transport: 3.2
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gulmarg, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gulmarg, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.4
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gulmarg.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Gulmarg, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gulmarg is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Gulmarg relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.1
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gulmarg, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gulmarg are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gulmarg is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.4
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gulmarg, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.6
(1) Gulmarg usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.3
(1) The staff at Gulmarg are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gulmarg are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.4
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.1
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gulmarg has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gulmarg, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Gulmarg, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Gulmarg, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Gulmarg has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.3
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.6
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.1
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.4
(1) Overall, Gulmarg is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.4
(1) Overall, Gulmarg is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 01, 2016
Omar Hajam from India
Gulmarg Kashmir is a prime ski resort in india. Gulmarg Ski resort is officially open for skiing.
If you would like to enjoy your holidays then Gulmarg is the best choice.
[note from the editor: advertising a business is not accepted amongst the resort reviews.]
December 20, 2015
irshad from India
Gulmarg is one of the India’s premier ski resorts. And there is a good reason for this; it is not only home to some of the world’s highest peaks. It also offers unbelievable long runs and some incredible backcountry riding.
February 23, 2015
willcheshire from India
I'm here with Di5 adventures and having an amazing time with Andy.
This is my first time to Gulmarg and if no one was to tell me it was the worst season in a decade, I wouldn't have guessed.
The snow, today, was a bit heavy and slow. Although getting the split boards out and skinning through the trees still ticks the boxes I came here for.
A huge snowfall reported to fall over the next few days will allow a few more days at Barber Reshi, in waist deep powder, on a steep pitch. Another box to tick.
Certainly a destination for those looking for a different type of ski holiday; Gulmarg is the one. When researching make sure you check out Di5 as a tour option. Couldn't recommend it any higher
February 15, 2015
Peter Robinson from Australia
For experienced skier/boarder contemplating a visit to Gulmarg, the best information on safety conditions is:
Note: the avalanche risk does not apply to Gulmarg's beginner and intermediate slopes which are on the lower mountain.
Founder, Ski Himalaya
February 15, 2014
hitesh from India
Gulmarg is a very nice place. It is in the Switzerland of India. People (in Kashmir) Gulmarg are very co operative and friendly. it is a good place to visit in February for snow and the best place for skiing. Gulmarg is the world's best place.
January 08, 2014
Joseph roth from United Kingdom
Hi guys, what a time to reach Gulmarg based on snow forecast.com. I came here just 1 day ahead of big storm and today, at avalanche awareness, I see only 25 foreigners so I said to myself "wow, it's just us and the mountain and pow pow; bring it on".
My stay is at hotelalpineridge and based on reviews I think I made a right choice as all others guys seemed sulking over hot water and heating issues but not at my hotel it seems my trip is gonna be a once in a life time experience.
Guys, am here for next month so will keep posting you with latest in Gulmarg till then it's powder time.
March 11, 2013
Adlin from India
We have planned to visit Gulmarg in April / May. Will we get to see snow meadows.
February 25, 2013
Anjum from India
its better to have a nearest hotel to gondola,
hotel hilltop is available
it depends on the budget ,
I would suggest khaleel palce and Florence are cheaper ones.
thank for more info,
February 13, 2013
Anjum from India
Peace to everyone.
Gulmarg is the safest place still this time as curfew is being imposed by government in whole Kashmir valley.
In Gulmarg you forget everything and just mind on ski, fun, nature.
Love my Gulmarg.
For latest updates and news about situation in Gulmarg call 9018289449
Also visit for safest snow ski pakages @ gulmargski.in
woooow, have fun..