Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser Resort Reviews
7 pm 21 Oct 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Gstaad - Schonried - Saanenmoser at m altitude issued:
Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser Ski Resort
March 30, 2009
Keith B from United Kingdom
Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser is a gem of a resort, not so much for the pricey Gstaad end but for the pretty, varied and 'authentic' Saanenmoser end. On-slope refreshments are found in small, cosy and friendly cabins, some with spectacular views. There are also great vistas from interesting and sometimes challenging runs over several peaks accessed by fast and reliable chairs, gondolas and a few drags. Saanenmoser has great late season snow too - having been in March/April for each of the last 7 years, I've never found a problem, even if some of the warmer slopes have become less attractive. With a direct rail link to Montreux and thereon to Geneva, Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser is a great alternative to some of the better known resorts. And for variety, Glacier 3000 - Les Diablerets - is a short drive away.
Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser Ratings
Overall: 4.8. Based on 1 vote and 1 review. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser.
Public Transport: 5.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 5.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser.
Ski in/Ski out: 5.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 5.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 5.0
(1) Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 5.0
(1) The staff at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 5.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 5.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
Mountain Dining: 4.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 5.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 5.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 5.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 5.0
(1) Overall, Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 5.0
(1) Overall, Gstaad - Schönried - Saanenmöser is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.