Visitor reviews for Gerlitzen Ski Resort
January 01, 2015
Will Gooda from Austria
We have come back to Gerlitzen for a second time having visited with our young family back in 2012. Our kids are now a little older and we have come with other family members this time (7 kids and 8 adults!) I cannot recommend this lovely family friendly resort enough. Austrian people are very kind and welcoming and our children thrived in the very well run but still very personable ski school. The mountain itself is extremely well run, the pistes are immaculate and the lifts are excellent. There is a great deal of skiing available for a small resort and everything is run with great efficiency and courtesy. Unlike some big resorts in France and Switzerland there is a real personal feel to the whole resort, from ski hire, ski school and every bar or hostelry on the mountain. The prices are excellent and seeing what goes into keeping the pistes in great shape (snow machines, piste machines working all hours) I believe he price of skiing to be very good value here. Likewise, one can eat and drink on the mountain for very reasonable prices. A delicious goulash soup with bread is only 4.90 euros and a pint of the local (and very good) Villacher beer is only 3.80 euros. That's less than my local pub and we are halfway up a mountain!
I have nothing but praise for this excellent resort and cannot recommend it highly enough.
Overall: 3.9. Based on 3 votes and 4 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gerlitzen.
Public Transport: 4.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gerlitzen, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gerlitzen, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gerlitzen.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.7
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Gerlitzen, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gerlitzen is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Gerlitzen relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 5.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gerlitzen, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gerlitzen are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gerlitzen is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gerlitzen, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.0
(1) Gerlitzen usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.7
(1) The staff at Gerlitzen are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gerlitzen are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 5.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.5
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gerlitzen has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gerlitzen, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Gerlitzen, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Gerlitzen, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Gerlitzen has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.5
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.3
(1) Overall, Gerlitzen is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Gerlitzen is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
November 22, 2010
Teja from Slovenia
I visited Gerlitzen resort many times last winter and it was perfect. There was no waiting time at any of the chairlifts, although there were about 8.000 people present on the ski slopes. When on the slopes you could hardly feel the presence of the crowd. The slopes were well groomed and I had a perfect time everytime I went to the resort. The views are just breathtaking, having the 360° panorama view of the whole Carinthia. The positive aspect is that from one top station you can reach all the slopes that are 360° spreaded around the mountain. This year they promise about 60km of ski slopes.
I recommend it very much.
April 13, 2010
Sally from Austria
Gerlitzen is the local ski slope but this year it was 35 euros for a day ticket; no reduced rates for over 60s. When we visited the top chair was off due to bad weather, no discount or anything. Total rip off!
Can wait 1 hour to get up the gondola in peak season with many lines. Find somewhere else!!
November 03, 2007
Andrew from United Kingdom
I visited Gerlitzen in December 2002 and for a comparatively low-lying resort there was good snow cover. Despite this one or two runs were closed - not because of insufficient snow but due to the fact that the main opening week was the week after and they wanted to keep them fresh.
The pistes were long-ish for a small resort and well groomed. Only blues and reds were fun skiing. However, the things that most impressed me were the stunning scenery and beautiful views. It's a mountain surrounded by other lower mountains and, as such, gives you the feeling of being above everywhere else. You're also not far from other resorts and we visited Bad Kleinkirchheim and Nassfeld while we were there. You could also hop over to Slovenia (Kranska Gora is not far). All in all, a quiet and pleasant resort ideal for beginners.