Gargellen Resort Reviews
1 pm 21 Jul 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Gargellen at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Gargellen Ski Resort
February 28, 2010
valerie coombs from United Kingdom
Gargellen is a wonderful village with great snow and a really good ski school. Ideal for us because I am a beginner and my husband is an off-piste man. We meet at the schaffberg mountain restaraunt for lunch and both get so much out of this resort.
We stay at the Bradabella Hotel which is fantastic and just love Gargellen.
Overall: 2.8. Based on 4 votes and 6 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Gargellen.
Public Transport: 2.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Gargellen, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Gargellen, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.8
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Gargellen.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.2
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Gargellen, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Gargellen is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Gargellen relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Gargellen, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Gargellen are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Gargellen is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 1.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Gargellen, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.8
(1) Gargellen usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.0
(1) The staff at Gargellen are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Gargellen are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.5
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Gargellen has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Gargellen, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Gargellen, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Gargellen, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Gargellen has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 2.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 2.3
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 2.2
(1) Overall, Gargellen is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.2
(1) Overall, Gargellen is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 27, 2009
Staci from Netherlands
Really enjoyed Gargellen. Great for the entire family and the snow was awesome in February 2009. The town is a bit on the quiet side, but the mountains are beautiful and the ski school for the kids well run. Overall, Gargellen is a great place to ski.
November 10, 2007
Rob Farrands from United Kingdom
Stayed in the Hotel Madrisa in March 2006 with family - the hotel, although not cheap, it was worth every penny - very good service, friendly, accommodating, great facilities and lovely old world Austrian Alpine feel. The resort is very small but there are other resorts nearby. However, there is no connection by ski lift. Very attractive low key village with good snow due to its high altitude.
July 27, 2007
Paul + Dawn from France
Might as well be the first to report on 2007 conditions: three weeks out of four in March were superb; brilliant sun and loads of snow; one week of snow and poor visibility. Great grooming, small crowds, friendliest people, very good mountain top restaurant and a delightful, small village atmosphere. Many excellent apartment rentals in addition to three or four excellent hotels. If you just want to have fun sliding down the hill rather than showing off your Bogner apparel this is the place.
January 20, 2006
Simon from United Kingdom
Small and quiet especially in the evening. Fantastic for a short break, great snow when i went in March, quiet even at the weekend. 7 or 8 off piste ski routes which were a lot of fun! Only heard 2 other English voices all weekend. You can even ski mountaineer to Switzerland if you wish!
November 30, 2005
belinda.love from United Kingdom
Great place for families - lovely atmosphere. Skiing excellent for beginner and intermediates. Good snow as very high and renowned for good snow