Formigueres Resort Reviews
1 pm 24 Jun 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Formigueres at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Formigueres Ski Resort
January 24, 2012
Adrian Hands from United Kingdom
My kids just love this place (10 and 11). We have skied the Capcir region twice a year for the last 5 years and will be there again this half-term. Whilst it may not be the most challeging area there is more than enough to keep the novice progressing up to some challenging Reds. When the sun shines (many slopes face southeast) this small area can get quite sugary late in the afternoon and bare patches come through quickly (it's not quite as snowsure as the 3 Valleys) .........but if you ski the top runs it can still be quite lovely.
Overall: 3.3. Based on 2 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Formigueres.
Public Transport: 3.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Formigueres, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Formigueres, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 1.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Formigueres.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.5
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Formigueres, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Formigueres is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Formigueres relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.5
(1) There are no snow groomers at Formigueres, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Formigueres are groomed daily.
Nearby options: 2.5
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Formigueres, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Formigueres usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.0
(1) The staff at Formigueres are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Formigueres are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.5
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.5
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Formigueres has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Formigueres, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Formigueres, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Formigueres, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Formigueres has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.5
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.5
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.5
(1) Overall, Formigueres is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 2.5
(1) Overall, Formigueres is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 14, 2010
Marc from Spain
Formigueres is a great small resort for families with kids.
No crowds, carpark very close to the runs, lovely sundeck and bar.
Not many pistes and most of them for beginners and medium skilled skiers.
We love the place as there are not many kamikaze and dangerous snowboarders and the resort is quiet and relaxing, ideal to have fun with the children.
Formigueres ha a beautiful landscape all around, and lots of woods to ski within the trees.
January 09, 2009
madefaca from Spain
Formigueres is a superb small resort. It has the record time from parking to skiing. It isn't busy and it has good snow during all the day because there were not many people skiing. It's difficult to find ice in all the station.
But I can understand that is too small. Better for us... It also has a sunny bar.
March 04, 2008
Rick Paris from France
Formigueres is a small resort in the Eastern Pyrenees. Its main attraction is the many other small/medium resorts within short driving distance i.e. Font Romeu and Les Angles. The runs here are tree lined and vary from blue to red. There is nothing hair-raising. The area will keep you busy for 1 day, nothing more. The lift pass is quite cheap as there aren't many lifts. The village is a couple of miles from the bottom of the lifts and is nothing more than a small farming community with a few basic shops/bars.
Nice resort to visit for a day.
December 18, 2007
Shaun McGuinness from United Kingdom
Formigueres is a great little resort. It has some nice blue runs which can be quite challenging and it's also really good to learn. I have taught two people to snowboard there so far.