Font Romeu Resort Reviews
12 pm 25 Mar 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Font Romeu at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Font Romeu Ski Resort
January 31, 2010
Tony Pembroke from Ireland
My family and I skied Font Romeu in early January 2010. This is an excellent family friendly resort linked to a neighbouring resort called Pyrenees 2000. The slopes are excellent for beginners with greens in abundance. There are not many resorts where you can ski from the top right to the bottom on greens! There are a large number of smooth blues all over and an excellent blue into Pyrenees 2000. There are a number of blacks but these are more red in nature although sometimes icy. Many good pistes for intermediates at the back of the resort and into Pyrenees 2000.The resort is well interlinked with 3 mountain restaurants to allow frequent hot chocolates. We stayed in Font Romeu and found an excellent pub with a central fireplace where one could order food through a 'hole in the wall'. All in all, an excellent family friendly resort with a creche at the base of the ski resort and a linked lift right from the centre of Font Romeu village. We have been to the Pyrenees many times and enjoy neighbouring resorts of Les Angles and Formigueres. For a weeks trip taking in all three resorts is very possible. We would highly recommend Font Romeu for a 3-4 day trip.
Font Romeu Ratings
Overall: 4.2. Based on 6 votes and 4 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Font Romeu.
Public Transport: 3.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Font Romeu, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Font Romeu, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.6
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.5
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Font Romeu.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.5
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Font Romeu, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Font Romeu is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Font Romeu relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.8
(1) There are no snow groomers at Font Romeu, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Font Romeu are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Font Romeu is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.3
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Font Romeu, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Font Romeu usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.8
(1) The staff at Font Romeu are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Font Romeu are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.3
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Font Romeu has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Font Romeu, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Font Romeu, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Font Romeu, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Font Romeu has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.2
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 4.3
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.3
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.5
(1) Overall, Font Romeu is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Font Romeu is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
December 18, 2009
Darren Papani from United Kingdom
I've skied Font Romeu 5 or 6 times now and have found it great for my young family. Good selection of easy, wide greens and blues to get your started. Snow is a little unreliable but they have masses of cannons so should never be a problem main season. Big self service restaurant at the base station.
For hassle free skiing without the crowds I would recommend it.
December 24, 2007
Jim Walton from United Kingdom
This is a reasonable resort for a weekend. The pistes are wide and we found them to be well groomed. They are slightly over graded - the blacks would only be red in most resorts - but of a good length. This is the only resort I've ever skied where you can ski from the top of the resort to the bottom on a green piste!
If you are a good skier you can ski all the runs in one day which may not make it a good choice for a long trip but good fun for a weekend.
The main negative of the resort is the food. Whether it be on the piste (the worst croque monsieur ever), at the start of the lifts or even down in Font Romeu itself. Do not expect service with a smile, in fact at times do not even expect service!
On the whole, pop in if you are in the area.
December 15, 2006
Rick Paris from United Kingdom
Font Romeu is a very noce little ski resort in the Eastern Pyrenees. Its proximity to Perpingon airport is great.60 mins from airport carpark to hotel.
The town is compact and has a mainline train station. The skiing area is small/medium sized, it is joined with a nearby resort called Pyrenees 2000. Lots of the runs are very suitable for nervous skiers. Long, wide paths through trees. The scenery is very nice and the slopes gentle in the main. There are a couple of blacks but they are short and unreliable for snow. The resort has around 500 snow cannons but the weather is often warm. I loved the resort as the skiing was interesting enough for 3 days and there are several other similar sized resorts nearby. Novice skiers 10/10, experienced 6/10.