Visitor reviews for Fiss Ski Resort
March 10, 2012
Vince from Switzerland
Just returned from a week winter holidays in Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis (March 2012), was really impressed by this resort. The skiing area and the facilities make this resort one of my favourite.
I usually spend more time off piste than on the pistes, both on skis and snowboard, often find the regular runs not challenging enough, I found in Serfaus and Fiss some steep pistes making it a great skiing area!
Besides that, we were very lucky with the weather, and had 4 days of fresh snow, which made off-piste simply amazing.
A good thing in this resort is that the off-piste skiing area feels relatively "safe", in the sense that there aren't cliffs or huge rocky areas close to the pistes, but of course the avalanche risk remains high, reminder given by the numereous avalanches (artificially or naturally started) surrounding the pistes.
For fan of apres-ski, this is probably not the most animated place, but bars could bring some good fun after a great skiing day.
There are lot of activities for kids, that's true, but the exceptional skiing area makes this resort a very good tip, not only for family.
As the pistes in this resort are very well exposed, the snow in the lower runs in the afternoon can be a bit heavy / wet.
Overall: 4.0. Based on 5 votes and 3 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Fiss.
Public Transport: 3.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Fiss, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Fiss, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Fiss.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Fiss, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Fiss is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Fiss relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.8
(1) There are no snow groomers at Fiss, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Fiss are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Fiss is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Fiss, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Fiss usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.2
(1) The staff at Fiss are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Fiss are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 5.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.5
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 5.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Fiss has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Fiss, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.8
(1) Not even a kicker at Fiss, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Fiss, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Fiss has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.8
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.4
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.8
(1) Overall, Fiss is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.8
(1) Overall, Fiss is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 14, 2011
Joanna from Australia
Fiss is extremely well set up for families, great traditional rural village feel and a ski area that's hard to beat. Lift infrastructure and piste preparation is exceptional and the ski school has loads of languages and nationalities on offer plus a perfect playground for kids to learn the craft.
March 30, 2009
dan from Israel
I spent a week in Fiss this March with my family and another family. We stayed in a hotel which was situated really on the slope. The resort is very modern in all its lifts and other facilities and the slopes are very well maintend. Fiss is an ideal family resort and has all one needs for for all kinds of skiers. There are not so many easy slopes for beginners but a lot of them for intermidiate skiers. For more advance skiers there are som blacks and ski routes (ungroomd trails) besides many possibilities for off-piste. There is the famous Austrian apres-ski at the end of the day but it's limited in its choice. I ski almost every month during the seasons and visit a lot of ski resorts mainly in Austria and France and the Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis is one of the biggest and best in Austria, in my opinion.