Ehrwald Resort Reviews
7 am 23 May 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Ehrwald at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Ehrwald Ski Resort
February 25, 2010
millsy from United Kingdom
Just returned from a week in the Zugspitze Arena of which Ehrwald is part. Only a small area but had great snow and the lack of traffic meant that the piste remained in great condition. Access to the glacier is far easier than long queues at Eibsee on the German side and Lermoos offers reasonable vertical across the valley. Garmisch-Partenkirchen is only 20 minutes away and is on the same lift pass and offers the Kandahar WC Downhill to blast down. Good alternative week away all in all.
Overall: 3.7. Based on 1 vote and 4 reviews. Vote
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Ehrwald, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 2.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 5.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Ehrwald.
Ski in/Ski out: 2.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Ehrwald, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Ehrwald is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Ehrwald relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Ehrwald, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Ehrwald are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Ehrwald is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Ehrwald, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Ehrwald usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.0
(1) The staff at Ehrwald are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Ehrwald are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Hire and Repairs: 4.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Ehrwald has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Ehrwald, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Mountain Dining: 3.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 5.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Ehrwald is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Ehrwald is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
June 15, 2009
CH from United Kingdom
Oh, Ehrwald is amazing. Slopes were great and Zugspitze was very good. Pretty high up but was good so would definitely go back.
April 15, 2009
Jane from United Kingdom
Just had an amazing week at Ehrwald - weather superb, skiing good, fabulous hotel (Alpen Residence), not too crowded considering it was Easter holidays. Easy journey from Stanstead to Munich and then train from Munich airport. (Ask about family tickets - £120 for 7 of us return).
Loved it at Ehrwald and will return.
March 31, 2006
Mitch from Netherlands
Ehrwald consists of two ski-areas. The one on the piste-map is nice for beginners, but very small. The other one (to the right) is actually quite nice. Two parks (March 2006) and some very nice blue and red slopes (even a "black" one"). If you buy a "happy ski card" you can visit Lermoos, Garmisch, Seefeld and the Zugspitze as well. All together enough variation for 1 week.