Visitor reviews for Combloux Ski Resort
December 27, 2009
Phill from United Kingdom
First went to Combloux in 2003 and went back every year since.
Great French ski area with mostly French people, who enjoy great views, great food, and a well kept secret.
Access to bigger slopes and more skiing is easy by car.
It's even possible to touch down in Geneva and be on the slopes in the hour.
Overall: 4.1. Based on 5 votes and 5 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Combloux.
Public Transport: 3.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Combloux, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Combloux, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.8
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Combloux.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.8
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Combloux, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Combloux is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Combloux relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.6
(1) There are no snow groomers at Combloux, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Combloux are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Combloux is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.2
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Combloux, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Combloux usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.2
(1) The staff at Combloux are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Combloux are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.2
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Combloux has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Combloux, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Combloux, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Combloux, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Combloux has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.6
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.6
(1) Overall, Combloux is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.4
(1) Overall, Combloux is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
March 16, 2008
David Hall from France
I arrived back from Combloux two weeks ago .The scenery is terrific and the pistes are good for beginners and intermediates. Megeve is only around 5 kilometers away if you want more skiing.
March 02, 2008
Gael from United Kingdom
I have been skiing in the Combloux region for the past 15 years and have also enjoyed some summer holidays in the region. It's very beautiful with lots of great restaurants and skiing for all levels available in the area. I would recommend it for families, beginners and intermediate skiers. More experienced skiers will find plenty to keep them entertained at Les Contamines or Chamonix (40mins drive) where there's plenty of steeper stuff and off-piste. Combloux also has a very nice public (but little used) spa which is perfect for an after ski chill out. Just sit back in the jacuzzi and watch the sunset on Mont Blanc. Amazing!
February 01, 2008
Patrick Marshall from United Kingdom
Beautiful village close to Megeve. Great skiing for all levels and found ski school well organised and instructors we used were fluent English speakers and generally very good.
Combloux is viewed in France as being a resort at the forefront of safety on the pistes and we certainly found that the Securite des Pistes came to us and suggested we wore helmets.
Absolutely beautiful views and looking forward to going back sooner rather than later.
January 07, 2008
Dave Gilbert from France
Just arrived back from Combloux.
All in this area has had brilliant forecasts for about 40 cm snow over a day or so. It arrived as rain - heavy rain.
It washed away the snow from our chalet and I admit I did not go to the highest points, but with temperatures at the 1,250 meter point of plus 6 - 8, I cannot see how it could have been snowing up there either.
The child care places do not speak English, no matter what they say in the ads, and they left my son alone to cry, despite admitting that they thought it was because he didn't understand what they were saying. Also he was violently sick three hours after being at the child care centre. Very poor service.
Very pretty area and the chalet prices were very fair.
Sadly the usual French problem for me, nobody wishes to be helpful and when skiing is not possible then it's 25 Euros to sit down, sir Yes, you can have just a coffee, but you must sit near the toilet.
My wife and I cut our losses and drove home after two days. Because of the heavy constant rain and the fact that we were unable to find reliable childcare, we never even put our skis on!!!!! It's never been that bad before.
I've been three times to the French alps; disappointing every time. That cannot be plain bad luck. I'll never go again and will stick to Andorra. At least there they make snow, you can sit in the finest place if you only want a coffee and they don't sneer at you when you ask if you can help them settle your child in because they don't seem capable themselves.