Cannon Mountain Resort Reviews
12 am 16 Jan 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Cannon Mountain at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Cannon Mountain Ski Resort
February 29, 2012
P Paulino from United States
This past winter vacation week, it was a pleasure to see Cannon in such decent condition, given the lack of snow up North. Snow covered Franconia Notch was definitely the exception to the rest of Rte 93. Hats off to the Cannon Grooming crew, as we enjoyed great corduroy throughout. No insane lifelines as found in central Vt. Everywhere from Tramway to Taft Slalom was in good shape, and Gary's and Rocket were glory runs in the afternoon. Looking forward to getting back there after these early March storms...think whiteout conditions
Cannon Mountain Ratings
Overall: 3.5. Based on 5 votes and 6 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Cannon Mountain.
Public Transport: 1.8
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Cannon Mountain, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Cannon Mountain, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.5
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.8
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Cannon Mountain.
Ski in/Ski out: 2.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Cannon Mountain, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Cannon Mountain is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Cannon Mountain relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.6
(1) There are no snow groomers at Cannon Mountain, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Cannon Mountain are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Cannon Mountain is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.8
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Cannon Mountain, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.5
(1) Cannon Mountain usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.0
(1) The staff at Cannon Mountain are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Cannon Mountain are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.5
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 5.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.8
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Cannon Mountain has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Cannon Mountain, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Cannon Mountain, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Cannon Mountain, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Cannon Mountain has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 4.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.2
(1) Overall, Cannon Mountain is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.2
(1) Overall, Cannon Mountain is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 31, 2009
Powdahound from United States
Cannon Mountain is old school. There's always plenty of ungroomed terrain left after a dump. Do yourself a favor and check the weather before you ski there and pay attention to the wind. Cannon Mountain has over 2000 ft of vertical but the front four at about 700ft vertical can be the best terrain on the mountain. Also check out Kinsmans glade and Tramline for a challenge.
December 02, 2008
cannonistidor from Afghanistan
Icy, cold, steep and oh ya, windy.
November 26, 2008
catalpa from United States
The ice at Cannon is no worse than at any other New England ski area, and due to the high elevation plus lower skier traffic it can be much less icy. Ice is caused by several contributing factors, and skier traffic is one. Other mountains in the area may have better grooming, but they need it due to their crushing crowds and lift lines. True, intermediate level skiers will have a wide variety of terrain to choose from. I do not work there, nor do I work for the marketing departments of mountains that compete with Cannon. I would like to see the mountain recognized for it's excellence, so it will stay in business and flourish.
November 22, 2008
way2ski from United States
Cannon is icy, cold, windy and steep. It's not for occasional novice to intermediate skiers. When it snows though, it has some of the best skiing in the east.
December 21, 2007
JumpTurn from United States
Cannon Mountain is a cult ski area with steep runs up to 35º and very extensive woods skiing. Conditions can be variable from hard pack to powder. The aerial tramway makes possible full mountain runs plus one half while riding the same tram car every 8 minutes. When there is 1-2m of snow, this is one of the best areas in the Eastern US for the advanced skier or boarder. Prices are moderate to inexpensive.