Borovets Resort Reviews
1 pm 24 Feb 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Borovets at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Borovets Ski Resort
December 30, 2016
Dave from Bulgaria
Hasn't stopped snowing for 3 days. All runs open. Incredible conditions.
Overall: 3.7. Based on 90 votes and 180 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Borovets.
Public Transport: 3.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Borovets, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Borovets, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.9
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.7
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Borovets.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.3
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Borovets, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Borovets is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Borovets relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.9
(1) There are no snow groomers at Borovets, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Borovets are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Borovets is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.7
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Borovets, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Borovets usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.5
(1) The staff at Borovets are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Borovets are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.2
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.2
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Borovets has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Borovets, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 3.2
(1) Not even a kicker at Borovets, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Borovets, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Borovets has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.6
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.6
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.5
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.1
(1) Overall, Borovets is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 24, 2016
Homer Simson from Bulgaria
Really bad conditions lately. There was just one firm snowfall for the whole winter in mid January and since then the conditions are getting worse by day. On 21.02 me and few friends made the mistake to pay the passes; total disappointment. Really bad slopes and shitty weather. Unfortunately, this is not a good season in Borovec or anywhere in Bulgaria.
February 20, 2016
Gary from United Kingdom
Just got back from a weeks skiing in Borovets. A week that had most things, wind, rain, snow and sun. Got out every day. All lifts are open; shame not all the runs were open but had a good time. Went with Hunters ski school and had Vassco (if you want to carve from top to bottom without stopping he's your man).
January 22, 2016
Dawn from United Kingdom
Have been in Borovets since 18th January 2016. Snow is excellent at the top, harder packed but not icy lower slopes. Everything open, not too busy, lovely bright days. Fabulous!
January 04, 2016
Danny from Bulgaria
Great little budget resort with nice slopes. A little 'cheesed off' about the lack of parks. Apparently they haven't been made because of lack of snow. Still they could put out some rails or boxes. Just being honest.
January 17, 2015
bec from United Kingdom
Picked a good week for Borovets (Jan 10-17). Most pistes open + not too crowded. Weather good for us but no looking good for week ahead unless it snows. Stayed in Rila; good food. Great budget ski resort.
January 10, 2015
Gligor from Macedonia
Last week (3rd to 10th January 2015) was really great here in Borovets. Plenty of snow, low temperatures and great, great prepared ski slopes. The best winter holiday for me and my family.
December 30, 2014
Jim from United Kingdom
Been here since the 28th and the snow has been good. Snow canons have been blowing constantly to keep the base topped up. Pistes have been well groomed. Almost everything open apart from the odd black and the Mursala path all the way back to the resort. Very cold, -11 in the resort at midday today. Never skied in Bulgaria before but very impressed. No lift queues apart from a couple of dozen people waiting for the nursery slope button lift.
December 21, 2014
stan from Bulgaria
Currently in Borovets, it snowed this morning but nowhere near enough. 2 nursery slopes open that's all. Gondola closed due to the wind. More snow forecast for tonight.
December 14, 2014
Karen from United Kingdom
Currently here in Borovets for the "start" of the ski season.
Contrary to many claims around the net, none of the ski lifts are open, a few kids are having a lot of fun sledging at the bottom of the slopes but that is it.
Snow cannons have been blasting away but although to my inexpert eye the slopes look fine have presumably not done enough and right now, no natural snow is forecast in the next few days.
But disappointing as this may be, there is horse riding up in the Rila mountains, there is an ice skating rink in nearby Samakov and the nicer hotels all have spa and swimming facilities. The restaurants, in the main town, are cheap and hopefully skiing will get underway soon!