Bjelašnica Resort Reviews
6 pm 24 Feb 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Bjelasnica at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Bjelašnica Ski Resort
January 12, 2015
Clara from United States
Went to Sarajevo as part of my Europe travel. I did not plan to ski but went for one day of skiing after some persuasion from local friends.
Although it was the beginning of the season as they told me (Jan.3rd ???), and there was a shortage of snow on upper slopes, the ones that were open provided a lot o fun.
There are not a lot of amenities on the mountain itself but this place has a lot of potential. With the right management it could be turned into a very respectable ski center. However, beside natural beauties it lacked organization and proper investment to offer much more than a few days of skiing.
What is great is that it is so close to the city (Sarajevo) which has so much to offer.
Overall: 3.6. Based on 17 votes and 6 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Bjelašnica.
Public Transport: 3.1
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Bjelašnica, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Bjelašnica, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.4
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 3.1
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Bjelašnica.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.6
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Bjelašnica, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Bjelašnica is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Bjelašnica relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Bjelašnica, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Bjelašnica are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Bjelašnica is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.1
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Bjelašnica, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Bjelašnica usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.1
(1) The staff at Bjelašnica are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Bjelašnica are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.7
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.6
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.1
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Bjelašnica has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Bjelašnica, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.5
(1) Not even a kicker at Bjelašnica, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Bjelašnica, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Bjelašnica has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.8
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.9
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.1
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.6
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.9
(1) Overall, Bjelašnica is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.9
(1) Overall, Bjelašnica is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 26, 2014
Skier from Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bjelasnica is something for the advanced skier. The mountain is wild and the weather conditions, over 1600 meter, are like on the moon. The wind is impossible, but you will love it! It can make you happy! You can catch some air and recharge your health!
November 25, 2012
Ella from Sweden
I went to Bjelasnica (Bjelašnica) last year as a part of my trip to Sarajevo.
The city is amazing, the people are friendly, and there are many hotels to stay in. There is a bus going to nearby mountains Igman and Bjelasnica. To stay at the ski resort, one needs to plan ahead and book a room since it seems to be a very popular place. The mountains and the scenery are amazing.
The slopes were great for an advanced skier like myself. This place is in my travel plans for the year too.
January 03, 2012
Sarajevko from Afghanistan
The place is only about a 30 km from the down town of Sarajevo. In the town you can find lot of fun, on the mountain you can find danegerus, sport and fun. The mountain is over 2000 meter high with his own air-conditions. Over 1600 m are the conditions like on the another planet. The wind is extremely strong but it makes your holiday happend. The sun isn't also on this high something another than in the town. You will never forget this!
January 06, 2011
Zoran from Croatia
I go to Bjelasnica every year a couple of days, since it is not far from Croatia, where I live. It is not something I would recommend for a holiday, but if you stay in Sarajevo or on Croatian cost on winter it is a small ski resort that you can feel ok. Since there is not enough artificial snow you have to, when there is enough natural snow. The best time would be from mid February to the end of March. The potential of this Olympic mountain is to be on the level of medium Austrian ski resort, but due to the luck of money and not very organized management it is still a plays for a good weekend if you are nearby. As I said, I am minimum 2-3 weekends a year there.
November 21, 2008
Edo from Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Olympic Mt. Bjelašnica is only 32 km from a city center, and 23 km from Sarajevo International Airport. Visitors of Bjelašnica are more than welcome to enjoy our slopes!
Bjelašnica, with its natural beauty and treasures, has plenty to offer - a real joy regardless of the season. We can offer tennis playgrounds, mountain biking, possibility to organise various parties, football tournamnents, fairs ..etc.
All that enjoy hiking and discovering the beauty of wilderness are invited to come and enjoy our picnics.