Ski Italy

Bardonecchia Resort Reviews

• Weather Forecast for Bardonecchia at  m altitude issued: 12 am01 Dec 2015 (local time)
Ski Italy

Bardonecchia Resort Reviews

Use the buttons below to tell us…

Visitor reviews for Bardonecchia Ski Resort

• March 20, 2014
    from United Kingdom

We stayed at the Hotel I Larici in March 2014. The hotel offers excellent value for money. Tip for any travellers is to email hotel in advance of stay and ask for the annex - as well as getting hotel room you also get small sitting area and kitchenette. Good links to Jafferau, Campo Smith and Melezet (my favourite)

Neilson recommends Cipos bar but we found it quite dirty. We preferred the Mezza Luna bar opposite Cipos for lunchtimes and early evening drinks following our skiing/boarding. Although they didn't accept the Neilson discount card drinks did get cheaper through the week and we were often given free tapas around 5pm.

We did try Bar Medial. Others had issues with charging, however, we didn't experience any problems and got free shots with our Neilson discount card.

As a very nervous beginner I signed up to group skiing lessons last week, at Bardonecchia, with fantastic ski school Spazio Neve. My instructor was called Marcello and he was brilliant. Unfortunately, my nerves got the better of me and the ski school kindly made arrangements for me to have one to one tuition with another superb instructor, Roberto Pacchiodo. He is an excellent instructor and a really talented skier. I was impressed by his patience and his quiet confidence put me at ease on the slopes. His sense of humour kept my nerves at bay and he always remained positive giving me real confidence and trust in him to help me get down the slope safely. One thing I noticed, whilst on my lessons with Roberto and general observations from the nursery slopes, was that he has a real aptitude for working with children of all ages. Roberto has a natural rapport with young people (and nervous adults!) I would definitely recommend the ski school to family and friends. The director of the English ski school, Flavio is charming and very gracious and I appreciated his help arranging one to one lessons.

I am looking forward to returning to Bardonecchia next year and intend to book one to one lessons (hopefully with Marcello or Roberto)

The contact details for the school are:

Phone: 0122-901943 / 0122-907689

I also have Roberto’s business card with his details, if anyone would like his contact information please private message me and I will pass it on to you (don’t want to post it online).

• Bardonecchia Ratings

Overall: 4.0. Based on 11 votes and 17 reviews. Vote

Access: 4.7

(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Bardonecchia.

Public Transport: 4.3

(1) There are no buses or taxis to Bardonecchia, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.

Scenery: 3.8

(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.

Accommodation: 4.0

(1) No places to stay in/near Bardonecchia, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.

Cheap Rooms: 4.0

(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.

Luxury Hotels: 3.3

(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Bardonecchia.

Ski in/Ski out: 4.5

(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.

Childcare: 3.4

(1) There are no child care facilities at Bardonecchia, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.

Snowsure: 3.9

(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Bardonecchia is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.

Snowmaking: 4.1

(1) Bardonecchia relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.

Snow Grooming: 4.4

(1) There are no snow groomers at Bardonecchia, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Bardonecchia are groomed daily.

Shelter: 4.4

(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Bardonecchia is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.

Nearby options: 3.4

(1) If snow conditions are poor at Bardonecchia, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.

Regional rating: 3.8

(1) Bardonecchia usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.

Lift Staff: 3.9

(1) The staff at Bardonecchia are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Bardonecchia are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.

Crowds/Queues: 3.6

(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.

Ski Schools: 4.6

(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.

Hire and Repairs: 4.7

(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.

Variety of pistes: 4.3

(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Bardonecchia has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.

Beginners: 3.6

(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.

Intermediates: 4.6

(1) No intermediate terrain at Bardonecchia, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.

Advanced: 4.3

(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.

Snow Park: 4.4

(1) Not even a kicker at Bardonecchia, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.

Off-piste: 4.1

(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.

Cross-country: 4.0

(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Bardonecchia, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.

Luge/Toboggan: 2.2

(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Bardonecchia has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.

Mountain Dining: 4.0

(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.

Eating: 4.0

(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.

Apres-Ski: 3.3

(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.

Other Sports: 4.0

(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.

Entertainment: 3.9

(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.

Winter Walks: 4.2

(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.

Ski Pass Value: 3.8

(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.

Value (National): 3.3

(1) Overall, Bardonecchia is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.

Value (Global): 4.0

(1) Overall, Bardonecchia is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.

• February 17, 2013
    from United Kingdom

Just returned from a brillliant ski trip to Bardonecchia.

We stayed at the Hotel des Geneys which is just a typical Italian ski resort hotel: clean but dark! The staff were very friendly and helpful.

Avoid the Bar Medail near the station. The first time one of our group was short changed "accidently" by 5 euros and the following day the bar tender accused us of underpaying our bar bill by 58euros! Very difficult to do when you are buying rounds and having the drinks delivered to the table! The bar called the police within moments of making the allegation and we had no proof that we had paid! We ended up paying 50euros to avoid any trouble. PS: we are a group of professionals in our 50's!

• February 08, 2012
    from United Kingdom

We returned to Bardonecchia in Feb 2011 for our second trip (having had our first taste of skiing there in Feb 2010) and unfortunately it was a bit like “a second cup of tea”.

We – being myself, my wife & 2 children (aged 15 & 13) - thought we would return as we enjoyed our first experience so much. We returned to Campo Smith – which is ideally situated at the foot of the slopes – and knew of restaurants etc that the kids enjoyed. However:

• We had to wait 6 hrs on arrival before we could have our room, as it had to be cleaned/ prepared
    • The room we were allocated was next door to the Luna Pizza Restaurant and whilst there was little noise intrusion, it didn’t have a small safe (as did our room in 2010 which was in the main body of the hotel, overlooking the front of the building)
    • Unfortunately, on our last day we had personal belongings and cash stolen from our room. There was no sign of a break in – so assume somebody must have had a key/access – and so we only found out when we had returned. Although we reported it to Crystal, nothing came of it and we ended up having to submit an insurance claim
    • On the same day, the apartment above us was broken into and various electrical items – iPods, iPads etc were stolen
    • We supposedly won a draw arranged by the hotel for a free weeks accommodation back at Campo Smith but we never received anything, despite chasing our Crystal Rep and our travel agent on our return

Would we return to Campo Smith in the future? Possibly. The resort has a good feel about it although the skiing in the area is somewhat limited. If we did, I would certainly ask for a room with a small safe

• January 31, 2012
    from United Kingdom

I went to Bardonnecchia 8/1/12 and stayed at the Hotel La Quiete. The the hotel was fabulous. It was basic, traditional and very comfy. The food was immense and excellent for a so called 2* hotel, every night we were stuffed! The hotel was in an ideal position for the ski areas as it was only a couple minutes walk to the main Campo Smith lifts and to the bus stop if you wanted to go the Jafferau area. The week that we were there the weather was far too warm and blazing sunshine all week which in the end took it's toll on the quality of snow at the Campo Smith area so we spent most of our time up the Jafferau which was a short bus ride to the gondola and took you higher up where the snow quality and skiing was far better. The down side of this area is the lift system which is old and desperate in need of investment in upgrading it. It has a fair few drags and two 2man chairlifts which are very harsh. The first one you use at the top of the gondola is the "Vinne Jones" of chairlifts, it's fast and takes you out from behind when you're not expecting it for the first couple of times and it's not padded. The other 2man is padded but is just as fast and brutal, a couple of goes and you are used to it. The night life is very low key to non existent and there are no cheap places to eat or drink, no happy hours, but all in all I would go back there and especially to the Hotel La Quiete and to see what it's like with really good snow.

• January 14, 2011

Jan 09, 2010
    We have just returned from our second trip to Bardonecchia. We (my wife & my 6 year old daughter) first visited in Jan 2006 when they were getting ready for the Torino Olympics. This time we returned with our friends, who included two 11 year olds and a 6 year old, all 1st time skiers.
    We stayed in the Rive Campo Smith in 3 appartments which, split across 9 of us, was excellent. Plenty of room, clean & modern. We even took travel kettles on the advice below but the cafe across the court yard did perfect Cappuccino at breakfast time so we didn’t use ours. The week of the 2nd Jan is busy with the Italians coming up on the train from Turin (Epiphany week) but it was not as busy as 2006. The snow conditions were great and having your ski locker 50 meters from the start of the slopes is perfect if you have those in your party who let you carry all the ski's. The resort has added a new tube park opposite the hotel which the kids enjoyed but you can only use it from 4 to 5pm due to lift pass restrictions. The snow conditions were good and the piste team did a good job of refreshing the resort daily. The lift network is great once you have got passed the initial queue 1st thing. If they put a 8 man chair lift in or a second 4 man lift it would make the start of your day much better. We found going over to Les Arnaulds & Melzet got us away from the ski schools and skiing the Olympic run was superb!
    As for the Ski schools we used though Crystal, Ski School Bardonecchia. The kids had a great time and the measure of how good they were being taught was on the 2nd day. All the learner skiers were up the mountain on the blue runs and we could ski with confidence/in safety with them in the afternoon. By day 4 they were going down red runs and trying to keep up with a 4ft nothing 6 year old really tested me! The only downside for me is, apart from a very technical and steep red run back into Campo Smith which I enjoyed, the blue run down for most skiers at the end of the day becomes the charge of the light brigade. Avoid 3.30 to 4.30 when the lessons are finishing. Start après-ski early or stay up top and be one of the last ones down.
    The bars and restaurants in the hotel complex were great and costs were really reasonable. I would say half the price of what you would pay in France and the staff were actually pleased to see you. For 9 of us eating loads and then drinking rather too much the total bill never exceed 200 Euros for the whole night.
    For those seeking more nightlife, Italian restaurants and nice shops, the high street in the town is excellent and at night it is lit up beautifully. Be warned, from the hotel it is just over a mile downhill! On the upside the week we were there they ran a free bus service (every 15mins) around the resort.
    If you have kids who are 1st timers or are on their second or third trip, I would recommend Bardonecchia as a family friendly resort. I would not stay anywhere else other than the Rive Campo Smith ski to door complex if you have kids as the logistics of getting ready and to lessons could spoil your holiday. Neilson & Crystal both use the resort and this time we travelled with Crystal and I would give them 8 out of 10 for service. Turin airport is Turin airport and it will always be a 2.5hr transition so just plan for it.
    Other than that, Bardonecchia is a family friendly and enjoyable place to ski……enjoy.

• November 01, 2010
    from Italy

I went to Bardonecchia in the summer and last winter. I plan to go again this winter and stay in Pensione Bianca, where I stayed in the summer. It was lovely to have somewhere run by Brits, they understand the area and locals really well but have the great, welcoming warmth and humour Brits have. Plus catered chalets don't really exist from what I can tell. The decor was friendly and welcoming, and customer service second to none, I can't wait!

• February 03, 2009
    from United Kingdom

For a snowboarder Bardonecchia offers a great mix of all that a snowboard is good for. A great snowpark (when it was open) with loads of fun obstacles to injure oneself, a whole mountain (Jafferau) as a back country powder magnet, and loads of tree runs through the mostly intermediate, quiet and well groomed pistes in the main area. However, if you were a boarder just interested in one type of riding, the resort might start to tire.

The resort is quiet during the week and the evenings are so quiet in the town you could hear the snow fall, but there's enough cheap pasta and pizza to keep the low pound-euro exchange rate in check. I stayed at Campo Smith which was ok; not great, but had a great view of one of the only ungroomed black runs which provided much entertainment.

On the real downside, the weekend is an utter nightmare at Bardonecchia. The density of people on the slopes seems to increase tenfold with a constant stream of ski schools and Turinese locals cluttering the slopes. The lifts, that are nice and quick, turn into 30 minute frenzies which, I found, completely frustrated the last day in the resort. I would recommend getting blasted on the penultimate day and go and watch the weekend snowboarders at the half-pipe rather than follow a ski school all day.

That said, I would put Bardonecchia high up on the list of places to go back to as I like a relatively varied boarding resort. However, I do realise that if the conditions are against you: no snow, icy, cloudy then the experience could rapidly go downhill. Fortunately, 2009 provided the best snow in 20 years for Bardonecchia. 7 snowflakes out of 10.

• February 12, 2008
    from United Kingdom

Just returned from second visit to Bardonecchia. Had a great holiday staying at Campo Smith. The snow was great this year, pistes well groomed. Brilliant ski school, instructors very friendly, excellent for children. Will consider third visit next year.

• February 06, 2008
    from United Kingdom

Good value resort for beginners/intermediates.
    Went 27/1/2008, stayed at Rive Campo Smith Apartments. Has a great time. Last week of low season so great value (£1250 for family of 4 incl flight, tuition, lift pass and kit - Thomson, booked November).
    Apartments: Great location on slope next to ski school. Clean and comfortable. Great views of slopes. Excellent 5* restaurant on site but v.expensive. 15 minutes walk to nearest SPAR type shop! But on free ski bus route. However, most shops only open at 4pm and bus stops at 5:45, so plan your shopping. Apts have lockers on site. English style pub opposite apts with good restaurant and ambience.

Resort: Smallish resort, v. quiet in low season (dead at night generally), but looked like it would get very busy in high season. Not particularly pretty, but not ugly either, and relatively quiet/traffic free during week. Carnival on Saturday night with excellent fireworks and fancy dress candlelit descent - do not miss! Good raclette meals (melt your own cheese at the table) a speciality.
    Skiing: Good number of blue and red pistes, uncrowded during week, but busy at w/e when locals arrive. Nothing much for experts. Nice picturesque wooded runs on generally wide pistes. No snow while we were there and warm, so it got icy, but the runs are high enough so that they're not too bad. Plenty of cannons to help as well. Good friendly ski school, excellent for kids, good English, and technically excellent, but most don't have conversational English, so can sometimes get confused when you ask them questions. Blue slopes are STEEP for blues and can be tricky in comparison to other resorts, especially if icy. Lifts are good and appear to have been modernised since 2006 Olympics. 2 4-man chairs take you to the top of the Mt Colomion, or 1 in Melezet.

Location: 1.5 hours from Turin and no hairpin roads - access straight from the motorway. Turin airport too small for the amount of traffic, so long check-in/security queues (2.5 hours just queueing on Sunday am), but clean and modern. Well connected to local area for sight-seeing by train/car to Turin etc.

Summary: We had a good time there, the kids loved it, great value off-season, we'll be booking again for next year.

• March 05, 2007
    from United Kingdom

Just back from Bardonecchia (18/2 - 25/2/07). Stayed at La Quiete, a small family run guest house 5 mins from the pistes (loads of good food but apartment a bit dated). Everyone was very friendly and helpful throughout the resort. Only snowed on last day but pistes had ample man-made snow and were refreshed every night. Bit icy in places but adds to the excitement. Excellent restaurants on the slopes.
    First time daughter and I tried snowboards. Olympic Snowboard park is a must-see. Also had a go on the Olympic 4 man bob. Gotta be done if you have the chance. Hard but enjoyable week and cannot wait until the next time.