Bansko Resort Reviews
2 pm 25 Oct 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Bansko at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Bansko Ski Resort
February 12, 2016
Rhys Hughes from United Kingdom
We went as a group of 20 from the 16/01/16 - 23/01/16 and had a great time. There were no queues for the gondola, although I can imagine it gets very busy if there's school holidays. We are all new to skiing and our instructors were great (banksoskimania) and very patient with both the parents and kids. The runs are great for novice and intermediate skiers, with plenty of room on the slopes. Overall, a great experience and hoping to go back next year.
Plus, it's significantly better value than the mainstream European resorts.
Overall: 3.6. Based on 149 votes and 329 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Bansko.
Public Transport: 3.5
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Bansko, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Bansko, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.2
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 4.2
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Bansko.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.6
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Bansko, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Bansko is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Bansko relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.9
(1) There are no snow groomers at Bansko, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Bansko are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Bansko is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.5
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Bansko, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.2
(1) Bansko usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.2
(1) The staff at Bansko are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Bansko are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 4.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.2
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.9
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Bansko has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Bansko, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.7
(1) Not even a kicker at Bansko, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Bansko, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Bansko has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.4
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.4
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 3.4
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.7
(1) Overall, Bansko is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 4.0
(1) Overall, Bansko is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
February 09, 2016
James George from Bulgaria
So much fun. Booked through BanskoRentals.com and stayed in a great 2 bed apartment very close to the gondola and the night life, restaurants etc. We were well looked after by M&G ski hire and school. Great instructor who made our holiday. Can't recommend it enough and will definitely be going back. The burgers at Smokey Mountain were some of the best we've ever had. A must on every visit to Bansko.
February 07, 2016
NR from Turkey
tatil bölgesi için mükkemmel bir yer ancak son derece plansız işleyen sistemleri mevcut.
1. gün ski pass gişelerinin önünde ucuza kullanılmayan kart satışları yapılmasına izin veriliyor ki karlı olacağını düşünüpte x kişisinden bilet aldım ancak kart kişiye tanımlanıyormuş ilk geçişte fotoğraflıyorlarmış yüz tanıma sistemleri nedeni ile kartı kullanamıyorsunuz ama tam da gişelerin önünde buna müsaade edilip bir yetkili bulundurulmuyor. Verdiğiniz para çöpe gidip paşa paşa gişeden tekrara kart alıyorsunuz.
2. gün tam gün ski pass almamıza rağmen saat 8:45 den 11:15 kadar lifte binmek için sıra bekliyorsunuz ki tam gün aldığınız kartı ancak yarım gün kullnabiliyorsunuz, başlangıç noktasında tek lift var, mecbursunuz sırayı beklemeye veya alterbnatif olarak aracınızla belli bir noktaya kadar çıkıp günlük 12 leva yaklaşık 20 tl otopark ödeyip 2. 3. lift duraklarından başlayabilirsiniz
January 07, 2016
Trevor whalley from Bulgaria
I do not usually do reviews but Bansko is the worst ski resort that I have ever visited. Borovets is far better. Problems start with the gondola access to the ski area. I queued for one and a quarter hours on Tuesday to get onto a gondola which then takes half an hour to reach the main station. The trails are overcrowded and in poor condition, there are very few trails so you just get fed up doing the same few trails. I shall never come again.
March 10, 2015
David from United Kingdom
Went skiing again in early February and the queues for the gondola were horrendous as usual and the slopes were all really crowded.
By the way, the button pull, at Chalin Valog, is out of action until next year because someone set fire to it for some reason.
Also, some of the restaurants are getting by the smoking laws by offering shisa pipes to customers. Not convinced that this is legal but we saw them being used in the Queens pub and we never went back there again.
Lets hope next year will be better.
March 08, 2015
Amanda from United Kingdom
33 of us spent the February half-term in Bansko; our 6th year! We are a party with various levels of ski ability. Pirin 2000 looked after our hire, lessons and bus up the mountain every day. We had another fantastic holiday, eating in Victoria, Motikita, Penguin and Queens. Stayed in Pirin Heights which is a great location, near to the gondola and ski shop and easy walk on a night out. Looking at the snow falling at the moment we are trying to justify another visit at Easter!
January 24, 2015
Chris vallis from United Kingdom
Waiting, in UK to fly out; 3rd time of going here. Good skiing for beginners/intermediate skiers, cheap when there and slopes are never too busy. Highly recommend this place.
January 15, 2015
Bill McAteer from United Kingdom
Spending a week in Bansko, with my family, at present and enjoying the ski conditions. Lessons are great, the lifts seem to be all very new (not what we were expecting!) and the ski chalet is far better than we imagined. We are catered so I don't know what the food, in the restaurants, is like but we have been to a few bars and seen some good bands. Will be returning, most probably to this chalet.
March 12, 2014
Ellie Walker from Bulgaria
Brilliant snow conditions for March. Empty pistes, fresh powder and cold sunny days. Staying in a great chalet run by an English guy called Matt. Horizon Festival is on at the moment. Loads of great music from the UK.
March 10, 2014
david from United Kingdom
If you hire a car and go to Bansko please be aware that in the last few years, unless you pay for parking in the town, your vehicle will be towed away. There is a fine and a storage fee!