Abtenau Resort Reviews
12 am 09 Dec 2016(local time) Weather Forecast for Abtenau at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Abtenau Ski Resort
February 19, 2009
steve pickering from United Kingdom
I have just returned from Abtenau and thought the skiing was fantastic with loads and loads of snow. Both my sons (Ryan and Aaran) are now fantastic skiers. Just a word of warning if you cannot ski though, the nursery slope is closed for some reason. Apart from that Abtenau is wonderful, a beautiful village and has friendly locals; well worth a visit.
Overall: 3.9. Based on 1 vote and 4 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Abtenau.
Public Transport: 5.0
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Abtenau, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Abtenau, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 4.0
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.0
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Abtenau.
Ski in/Ski out: 4.0
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Abtenau, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Abtenau is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Abtenau relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 4.0
(1) There are no snow groomers at Abtenau, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Abtenau are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Abtenau is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 4.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Abtenau, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 4.0
(1) Abtenau usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 4.0
(1) The staff at Abtenau are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Abtenau are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 5.0
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 4.0
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 4.0
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Abtenau has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Abtenau, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 4.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Abtenau, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Abtenau, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Abtenau has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 4.0
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 3.0
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 4.0
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 4.0
(1) Overall, Abtenau is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 5.0
(1) Overall, Abtenau is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 23, 2009
Sandra Birkinshaw (Senior) from United Kingdom
I have been visiting Abtenau for the past 29 years. We have visited in spring, summer, autumn and last but not least the winter (all seasons are beautiful). I don't ski, but my husband and children all ski. My husband and children all learned to ski in Abtenau and indeed my son also takes his wife (Sandra) and his children for skiing in Abtenau. My son and his family do go to other countries to ski, but still love to go back to Abtenau every year. We get a very good hotel. It is quiet, the air is clean, lift pass prices are good, food and drink is good and reasonably priced and last but not least, the scenery is wonderful and breathtaking; you absorb all this and then say 'I will be back next year'.
The skiing is excellent for families, the pistes are always kept in an excellent condition as are the langlauf trails and for the people who would like something more challenging, it is only a very short trip on the local bus to a very vast ski region. Give Abtenau a go and you won't regret it.
August 06, 2008
Sandulescu Zoia from Israel
We have been in Abtenau for a one week holiday for almost ten years, following some previous two visits years back. It's a place worth visiting and staying if you look for the quality vacation; no noise, minimum pollution, decent services and prices, far from the hubbub of fashionable resorts. People are forthcoming, the trails are well kept and accessible for every age, weight or physical condition, the sights are breathtaking within minutes of hiking and if you get bored in the evening, drive to Salzburg and spice your vacation with whatever you like.
February 04, 2004
Sandra Birkinshaw from United Kingdom
Abtenau is a place where you just go back for more. The skiing is not particuaraly challenging but the convienience of the hotel and the friendliness of the villagers make up for this. It is great for large groups (wherever you are on the mountain or in a restaurant you will see somebodt you know) and people with young children.