Abondance Resort Reviews
1 pm 21 Aug 2017(local time) Weather Forecast for Abondance at m altitude issued:
Use the buttons below to tell us…
Visitor reviews for Abondance Ski Resort
January 31, 2012
Robin Thompson from United Kingdom
30th January 2012. We spent the day skiing the glorious ski fields of Abondance and loving the fantastic powder and lack of competition for it. If you get the chance to try it on the right day then do not turn it down. It may be a little old school but this was one of the best days skiing in 30 plus years of trying. Maybe we should all experience this while it is still around. Lunch in the restaurant was good and not expensive.
Overall: 2.7. Based on 3 votes and 11 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Abondance.
Public Transport: 2.7
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Abondance, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Abondance, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.7
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 1.3
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Abondance.
Ski in/Ski out: 2.3
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Abondance, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Abondance is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Abondance relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.3
(1) There are no snow groomers at Abondance, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Abondance are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Abondance is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 3.0
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Abondance, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 2.0
(1) Abondance usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.3
(1) The staff at Abondance are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Abondance are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 2.3
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.7
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 2.3
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Abondance has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Abondance, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 1.0
(1) Not even a kicker at Abondance, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Abondance, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Abondance has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 1.7
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 1.7
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.0
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.0
(1) Overall, Abondance is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.0
(1) Overall, Abondance is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
April 20, 2011
J.C. from United Kingdom
2011. Probably the worst season for snow in memory, however, during half-term week it snowed 6 inches in Abondance as in the rest of the Portes du Soleil. We skied a brilliant morning in Abondance. The snow lay over the excellently prepared runs and skied like powder. No queuing, unlike the massive crowds in the rest of the resort. Woody had kept what snow there was in excellent condition. Thanks. We look forward to 2012.
February 26, 2010
neil t from United Kingdom
Spent 3 days skiing in Abondance over Feb half-term. Pistes were in fantastic shape: full range blue, red and a black. No queues, lift pass less than half the price of a Portes Du Soleil pass, kids prices even better: 6 euro for a 6 year old, 7 euro for a 7 etc. Because it was quiet, there was loads of untracked powder still to be had. Nice cafe at the middle station, quaint proper village at the bottom
If you're in PDS, try a day in Abondance, you won't be with many other Brits! I'll be going back.
January 03, 2010
Ad from United Kingdom
Just came back from skiing in Abondance (Xmas wk 2009). We were amongst the first people to ski in this re-openned resort. This is a great little resort for families/beginners and intermediate skiers. I did not try the red run due to some temporary technical problem; it was not open but the lengthy blue run was excellent. Skiing/snowboard lift pass costs 17.50 euros a day. A weekly pass I think was 120 euros (concessions for children/families also available). Also buses run every 20 mins to Chapelle Abondance ski resort which connects to 11 other ski resorts.
Some restaurants, cafes/bars, grocery store/bakery/chemist/bank/souvenir shops etc. People very friendly and helpful.
January 02, 2010
Huw Dylan Phillips-Griffiths from United Kingdom
Spent Christmas in Abondance and was skiing on the opening day, even had a chat with Woody. Got a pic in the local paper :-)
We (Mrs and daughter) arrived fairly late at night by bus from Thanon, asked for directions in Cafe Du Place (excuse if this is not right) and was chauffeured by the bar owner to our accommodation in Frogy - TOP BLOKE - so drink in his bar, hero !!
The skiing at Abondance was limited due to the weather but 10/10 for effort and 11/10 for the friendly welcome. The most helpful family run the local general store, however, the tourist office could provide better travel information - Thanon to Geneve or just get a PC/Internet for public use ;-)
December 10, 2009
emma de jong from Netherlands
Abondance is back as a ski resort this winter! As an owner of a second home, I cannot wait to take the telecabine for skiing and walking on "raquettes" .
December 06, 2009
Rosie Wranek from France
Living in Abondance and am really looking forward to the station opening again this winter on 19 December. The pistes at L'Essert, (top of telecabine) have had new snow making canons installed and the restaurant has had a complete refurbishment. Huge thanks to Woody Sherwood for making this all happen. It is a fabulous traditional alpine ski station ideal for families and beginners or simply those who want to get away from the madding crowds and queues of the larger resorts. A real gem worth visiting.
November 25, 2009
Richard Jones from United Kingdom
Abondance is opening this season. It is a great little ski resort away from the crowds; chocolate box place tucked away in the vast Portes Du Soleil.
September 26, 2009
Pip Willcocks from France
Abondance WILL be opening this winter, due to investment by an American company. If all goes well then there are extensive plans rumoured to expand and link this lovely resort into the rest of the Porte de Soleil. Watch this space.
March 05, 2009
Abondance Fan from United Kingdom
There is a rumour that the Abondance Ski Area will be open again next year. Here's hoping because it was a sweet little resort and great fun to ski at.